|140| The Only One

The Only One
by Grace Ann J. Lubrin

Felicity, unemployed for two years after college, faces her mother's constant scolding for being idle at home. However, her friend Megan brings unexpected news after returning from a business trip to New York. Excitedly, Megan informs Felicity about a secretary position available at her dream company in New York, Queen's Inc. Felicity, shocked by the opportunity, promptly applies and is thrilled to receive a call the next day, confirming her hiring. Without hesitation, Felicity books a flight to New York City.

Upon arriving at Queen's Inc., Felicity meets Ms. Steel, the former secretary, who gives her a tour and essential information, especially about Mr. Queen, the company owner. Following Ms. Steel's advice on handling Mr. Queen's anger, Felicity faces an unexpected challenge when she accidentally spills coffee on him, burning her hand. Mr. Queen reacts harshly, and Felicity, disheartened, retreats to the rooftop to cry, questioning the changed Oliver Queen from ten years ago.

A flashback reveals Felicity's past with Oliver, who promised to stay by her side. However, after Oliver left for New York, Felicity's attempts to contact him were futile. Years later, Felicity saw Oliver on TV, taking over Queen's Inc., sparking her determination to work for the company.

Returning to Oliver's office after crying on the rooftop, Felicity confronts him about breaking his promise. To her dismay, she finds Oliver with another woman, prompting her to leave the company and seek solace in a bar. Unaware of Oliver's presence, Felicity drinks heavily, attracting unwanted attention. Oliver intervenes, defending her and throwing the man out.

The next morning, Felicity wakes up in her apartment, confused and hungover. Ms. Steel, sent by Oliver, informs her to return to the office. Back at work, Felicity discovers pictures of her and Oliver from ten years ago on her desk. Oliver apologizes, explaining his regret for making her cry. Overwhelmed, Felicity hugs Oliver, torn between her past feelings and the promise she made to move on.

In the end, Felicity and Oliver reconcile, leaving room for forgiveness and the possibility of rebuilding their connection.

The End