|84| Da Som in the Countryside

Da Som in the Countryside
by Andrea Faye L. Tolentino

A hot summer in Seoul, South Korea. Da Som, a 12-year-old girl, is a student currently on summer vacation. Her father died not long ago during spring. Saddened by her father's sudden death, she has become quite rebellious and is stuck in her home with her mother, Hye Jin, with whom she has a strained relationship.

They constantly argue about small matters from the start of the day until the end of the night. Meanwhile, Hye Jin, now a single mother, is having a hard time raising her daughter and is still distraught about her husband's death.

Hye Jin has a corporate job with a low-paying salary and is troubled about their life in the city. She couldn't figure out how to pay the bills and how to control her daughter's unexplained behavior.

After a long and tough decision, Hye Jin decides to move back to her childhood home in Jeollanam-do, a countryside in South Korea. They have always gone there for a family vacation while her husband was still alive.

Her plan is to move there so she wouldn't worry about the bills and to unwind after the stress she received from her husband's death and from Da Som. Hye Jin knows that Da Som wouldn't agree with her plan.

So, she keeps it a secret and tells Da Som that they will only be having a short vacation in Jeollanam-do, and it will also be a way to fix their mother-daughter relationship. Da Som is seemingly confused, but in the end, she agrees.

Following a long drive, the two arrive at Hye Jin's childhood home. Da Som is utterly shocked as she sees all of her things inside the house. She immediately and furiously comes towards Hye Jin and shouts...

"You are a liar! How come you said that we will only be here for a short time? Why are all of my things here? I don't want to live here! You can't just decide and run my life like you want to! I wish you're the one who's dead and not my dad!"

Da Som angrily walks out as Hye Jin cries all alone. After getting some fresh air in the forest, Da Som goes back to the house and finds out that her mother is missing. The house is chaotic, their things and baggage are disorganized, and it seems like a huge storm went inside their house. Da Som cries as she realizes that her wish came true.

Then, a mysterious man appears behind her! Da Som is shocked and asks the man who he is. The stranger says that he is a Dokkaebi. At first, Da Som thinks the man is crazy until the Dokkaebi shows his powers and abilities by shape-shifting and showing off his immortality.

The Dokkaebi also introduces his friend, Haetae, a celestial beast with a body of a lion whose power is to keep evil omens at bay. Da Som asks for Dokkaebi and Haetae's help, and the two mythical creatures agree. Dokkaebi suggests to Da Som that Hye Jin might be in King Yeom Ra's palace or the Hell of filial impiety, now known as the Daewonsa temple. It is a place where people who don't have filial love for their parents get punished.

Using the Dokkaebi's sword and Haetae's magic powers, they are able to get to the Daewonsa temple where King Yeom Ra lives. Dokkaebi's suspicion is true as Hye Jin is held prisoner by King Yeom Ra. The King goes on to scold Da Som for disrespecting her one remaining parent and tells Da Som that she is an ungrateful kid who does not see the love and hard work of her mother.

Da Som kneels and clasps her hands as she begs forgiveness from her mother and King Yeom Ra. Da Som says. "Mom and King Yeom Ra, please forgive me. I only said that because of my pent-up anger and sadness from dad's death, and moving here made me realize that my dad is really gone, and it's just me and my mom together! So please, forgive me, and I promise to change and treat mom better."

Da Som cries hard, Hye Jin cannot bear to see her daughter in that state. So, she runs to Da Som and hugs her tightly as they both cry. Hye Jin says. "Oh, my dear daughter! I didn't know you felt that way, and I'm really sorry if I was not there when you needed someone to lean on. I promise not to keep secrets from you from now on and to always take care of you."

King Yeom Ra is touched by the scene of the mother and daughter, and as the God of Filial impiety, he decides to release Hye Jin from captivity because he witnessed Da Som's true love for her mother. Da Som thanks the King, Dokkaebi, and Haetae and goes on their separate ways.

Some time after the incident, Da Som and Hye Jin are now living a happy and simple life in the countryside. Dokkaebi and Haetae are still guarding the two secretly as it was King Yeomra's orders. Hye Jin and Da Som don't argue anymore and always talk and have fun. The two are now inseparable and are now living their best time.

The End