|150| The Found Missing Beauty

The Found Missing Beauty
Manalo, Rose Angelica A.

What's wrong with me?

In the bustling city of Cairo, there lived a girl named Mona who harbored a deep sense of self-hatred. To her, every aspect of her being was unlovely, and she couldn't shake the feeling that something was inherently wrong with her. From head to toe, Mona believed she was a misfit in her own family.

Her uncertainty led her to question her origins, even asking her parents and sister if she was adopted. Their reassurances did little to quell her inner turmoil. Mona remained haunted by the unsettling glances and whispers that accompanied her every step, both in and out of the classroom.

Curiosity and confusion reached their peak when a fellow student confronted her, openly questioning why she was different from the rest. Unable to find answers herself, Mona sought solace in a chance encounter with a lost dog named Dale. The canine's affectionate response to her presence brought a smile to Mona's face, prompting her to pose the same question she had grappled with to the furry companion. The dog's response was a simple lick, but it spoke volumes.

A twist of fate introduced Mona to Ali, the owner of the dog, sparking a conversation that gradually transformed her perception of herself. For the first time, someone saw beauty in her - her captivating green eyes, a feature that set her apart. Ali's genuine compliment left a lasting impact on Mona, opening her eyes to the unique beauty she possessed.

Upon returning home, Mona, fueled by newfound self-reflection, stood before her mirror. She realized that her differences were not flaws but a beautiful amalgamation of her Egyptian mother and African father, who had passed away when she was only a year old. The revelation of her heritage brought a mix of emotions, yet Mona began to embrace the distinct beauty that made her stand out.

Her mother, Zahra, unaware of Mona's internal struggles, entered the room with a warm greeting. Mona, eager to share her newfound perspective, recounted the day's events, her interaction with Ali, and the revelation about her father. Zahra, saddened by her daughter's self-doubt, decided it was time to reveal the truth about Mona's father and offered words of wisdom.

"Stop worrying about your appearance, my beautiful daughter. Embrace who you are, for everyone has their unique beauty. We are all born beautiful; we are all unique, and comparisons are futile. Smile at those who wonder about your beauty and say, 'This is how they make pretty kids from above,'" Zahra shared, enveloping Mona in a reassuring hug.

In that moment, Mona found the answer she had been seeking. "There's nothing wrong with me."

As Mona navigates the complexities of self-discovery, her journey becomes a testament to the power of acceptance and the realization that true beauty lies in embracing one's uniqueness.

The End