|16| The Red Thread of Fate

The Red Thread of Fate
by Jemilla De Jesus

In the city where Mount Fuji stands majestically, resides Miharu, a resilient teenage girl known for her independent spirit and discerning judgment.

Miharu has a secret haven near Mt. Fuji, a solitary bench overlooking the scenic landscape. She believes it is exclusively reserved for her, having frequented the spot since childhood. The initial discoverer left a carving that inspired Miharu to make it her cherished safe space.

The Ogawa family, well-known in their hometown of Fujinomiya, decided on an arranged marriage for Miharu with a distinguished family in Tokyo. On the other side, the Fujiwara family seeks a prosperous alliance for their only son, Kazuo Fujiwara, a serious, intelligent, and reserved young man.

Despite their differing approaches to life, Miharu and Kazuo find themselves walking similar paths. One day, after school, Miharu receives news of her engagement, prompting her to rebel against her parent's life plan. Simultaneously, Kazuo, on his second visit to Fujinomiya, takes a stroll, unknowingly waiting for Miharu to return.

As Miharu sits on her favorite bench near Mt. Fuji, Kazuo approaches, asking why she is in tears. Miharu expresses her frustration at living under parental control, a sentiment Kazuo understands all too well. Their candid conversation, filled with laughter and the breathtaking view of Mt. Fuji, becomes a therapeutic release for both.

Sharing stories with a stranger becomes a revelation for Miharu, who, until then, had kept her thoughts to herself due to her parents' authority. Kazuo recognizes the strength in Miharu's fight for autonomy, a trait he admires.

Interrupting the moment, Miharu questions Kazuo's use of "sitting here again." Kazuo reveals he left a carving during his first visit as a child, designating it as his secret safe spot. Miharu discovers that Kazuo was the previous owner of her cherished spot and the inspiration behind her visits.

Realizing she has fallen in love with him, Miharu grapples with the idea of an arranged marriage. She desires a connection founded on understanding and compatibility, not dictated by societal norms.

As Miharu and Kazuo's paths cross once more, the invisible string connecting them tightens. They share stories and laughter, their connection growing stronger. Unbeknownst to Kazuo, the girl he has come to appreciate is Miharu Ogawa, the one he is destined to marry.

As they become closer, the invisible thread shortens, bringing them to the realization that their hearts are intertwined. When Kazuo learns Miharu's name, he understands that the person she finds most attractive is the one he is meant to marry.

Inviting Kazuo to dinner, Miharu rushes home, holding hands, and as they enter, their parents smile knowingly. On bended knee, Kazuo produces a ring, acknowledging the speed at which events unfolded. He proposes to Miharu, who, amidst tears of joy and surprise, responds with a heartfelt "yes."

The End