|28| The Powerful Guzheng

The Powerful Guzheng
by Jeanlouis D. Manalo

In the bygone era, in the modest town of China, dwelled a beautiful wife named JiangLi who harbored an immense love for playing the guzheng, a traditional Chinese instrument.

She was the wife of Mingho, a legendary Chinese warrior known for vanquishing hundreds of evil spirits that threatened their province. Mingho regarded JiangLi's musical prowess as extraordinary, deeming it his source of strength whenever he embarked on battles against spirits. Despite her exceptional talent, JiangLi hesitated to play in front of others, burdened by discomfort and the fear of judgment.

A week before the Mooncake Festival, Mingho sensed an ominous force destroying crops in one of the mountains. Renowned for his battles against evil spirits, Mingho enlisted JiangLi to play his favorite song, unaware that it would be the last time she would play for him.

Defeated by Hambi, the formidable evil spirit, Mingho fought valiantly until he succumbed to its overwhelming power. Grieving her late husband, JiangLi sought solace at the Yangtze River, where they often spent their free time, playing her guzheng sorrowfully.

On the moon, Chang'e, the Goddess of the Moon, noticed JiangLi and conceived a plan. Aware that Hambi would attempt to disrupt the Moon Festival, Chang'e sent Mingxia, her loyal servant, to Earth. Mingxia would empower JiangLi to thwart Hambi's destructive plans. The next night, JiangLi returned to the river with her guzheng.

Mingxia, disguised as a child eager to learn the guzheng, approached JiangLi, expressing admiration for her music. JiangLi, ever gracious, agreed to teach her.

After the lesson, Mingxia bestowed JiangLi with powers from Chang'e to defeat Hambi. Initially reluctant, JiangLi hesitated due to fear and the desire to keep her talents hidden. Mingxia urged her, saying, "Chang'e will protect you. Become her warrior, overcome your fear, and save many."

Persuaded by Mingxia, JiangLi accepted the powers. On the eve of the Moon Festival, Hambi attacked the town, causing chaos. In a swift and graceful flight, JiangLi, using the Powerful Guzheng, arrived to confront the menacing spirit. All eyes were on her as she played, exhibiting a mesmerizing combination of musical and aerial prowess.

JiangLi skillfully dodged Hambi's attacks, tiring it out for her final move. The culmination of her performance was playing Mingho's favorite song, a powerful yet calming melody that lulled Hambi to sleep. Seizing the opportunity, she captured Hambi's soul, ensuring it would never wreak havoc again.

To her surprise, the townspeople erupted in applause, expressing gratitude for her heroic act. JiangLi, overwhelmed by their appreciation, realized the futility of hiding her talents.

On the night of the Moon Festival, Chang'e descended to Earth to personally thank JiangLi. Mingho's life was restored in exchange for JiangLi becoming Chang'e's warrior and defeating Hambi. This marked the beginning of JiangLi performing in front of crowds and imparting her guzheng skills to children.

The End