|95| Cookie

Cookie
by Triszia Fuentes

Once upon a time, there lived a Korean prince named Han Eun Seol. Prince Eun Seol was a smart and curious boy, often seen at the palace library reading books all day long. His older brother (Hyung), Gwi Nam, who is the Crown Prince and is next in line to the throne, would always play pranks on Eun Seol to hinder his studies and prevent him from becoming smarter. He feared that Eun Seol might soon become intelligent and betray him for the throne.

Unaware of his brother's pranks, Eun Seol accepted them as misfortunes.

One day, to his confusion, he saw a book that appeared to be glowing. Intrigued, the young prince quickly grabbed the book and read the title, "Secrets of the Past."

In curiosity, Eun Seol flipped through the pages of the book and was surprised to see his childhood memories recounted from a different perspective. He discovered that Gwi Nam was behind the misfortunes in his life, even gluing his favorite book shut.

Feeling betrayed, Eun Seol desired revenge on his brother, but when the next few days came, and he visited the library again, he had a change of heart.

Greeted by a servant, Eun Seol requested kimchi stew and yakgwa (Korean honey cookies) for lunch. The servant returned with the prepared yakgwa, but Eun Seol noticed that one of the cookies smelled strange. Suspecting his brother's involvement, he asked the servant if Gwi Nam was with him, and the servant confirmed it. Eun Seol discreetly pocketed the bad cookie and ate the rest.

During dinner, the royal family discussed Gwi Nam's succession to the throne. Eun Seol distributed the cookies, purposely giving the bad one to his brother. Despite Gwi Nam's reluctance, the King insisted he eat the cookie to avoid wasting food.

As the dinner unfolded, a surprise guest arrived — Lady Ji Hyo, destined to marry Gwi Nam. She proposed a drink with the royal family and entertained them with palace gossip. Delighted by the turn of events, Eun Seol watched as Gwi Nam struggled with the effects of the laxative-laced cookie.

Lady Ji Hyo, sensing Gwi Nam's discomfort, left the table, and Gwi Nam rushed to the bathroom. The King, furious at Gwi Nam's embarrassment, threatened him that Eun Seol would become the Crown Prince if he didn't change his behavior.

However, Eun Seol had no desire to be the next King. Surprisingly, Gwi Nam visited his room and apologized for his past actions. Realizing the error of his ways, Gwi Nam promised to act more maturely and correct his wrongdoings.

A few days later, the King accepted Gwi Nam again, and peace was restored in the palace. Eun Seol checked the glowing book again, flipping through its pages. This time, he saw that Gwi Nam's intentions were pure, with no hidden agenda. Placing the book back, he turned around to find his brother placing a new copy of his favorite book on the study tables.

Gwi Nam, smiling at Eun Seol, quickly ran outside to Lady Ji Hyo. Eun Seol discovered the new book and read it with a smile on his face.

The End