|142| A Man with a heart drowning in the river.

A Man with a Heart Drowning in the River
Zymon M. Guinto

Kenji, a retired swordsman, resides in peaceful seclusion with his former comrade, Kujou Sara, in a forest. They share a life of mutual care, tending to each other's physical and emotional wounds, finding warmth in winter, and supporting one another during hunting.

Their tranquility is disrupted one night when a mysterious figure, Megumi, appears riding a Tengu, a giant bird. Megumi, their former band leader presumed dead, unveils himself and delivers a profound speech about the curse of life, emphasizing the inevitable struggles and sorrows.

Megumi reveals his intention to perform a ritual and already has Kujou Sara, carrying her away with the Tengu. Kenji, enraged, confronts Megumi, leading to a tense reunion between old rivals.

As they clash, Kenji reflects on the river, symbolizing his past joys with the mercenary band. He realizes that love and a sense of home reside in people and shared moments, not in physical places.

Kenji throws his sword, expressing a desire to end his existence. Megumi explains his plan to destroy the world, motivated by his disdain for being worshipped in hell. He admits regret over sacrificing his former comrades and, for the first time, sheds a tear as Kenji turns to dust.

The world transforms into a red nucleus of life, souls dreaming of happiness. Megumi, burdened by the river of the past, stands at the center. The story concludes with Megumi whispering a goodbye to Denji, his best friend, as the world transforms.

The End