|56| The White Day

The White Day
by Frances Miere S. Porciuncula

A long time ago, in the kingdom of Gyeongju, there lived a beautiful maiden named Seol Yoon A, the daughter of King Jinyoung. Despite her father's persistent efforts to arrange her marriage with various princes, Yoon A staunchly refused the idea of an arranged union.

One day, while strolling at Jongmyo Shrine, Yoon A encountered a tall and handsome man named Yang Jeongin, a commoner from the village of Georyo. Enchanted by each other's presence, they began meeting at the shrine regularly, engaging in deep conversations that blossomed into a profound connection. Over the months, Yoon A found herself falling deeply in love with Jeongin.

Their idyllic meetings took an unexpected turn one day when a heavy rainstorm caught them off guard. To Yoon A's astonishment, Jeongin slowly revealed nine tails on his back, unveiling his true identity as a Kumiho.

Upon learning this, King Jinyoung summoned the couple to the palace. The King, skeptical of Jeongin's love for his daughter, decided to put his feelings to the test. He asked Jeongin to bring him the Blue and White Porcelain Peach-Shaped Water Dropper from Joseon, a seemingly impossible task.

Undeterred, Jeongin embarked on his journey to Joseon. Meanwhile, Yoon A, in a show of affection, busied herself crafting chocolates using the finest cocoa from their village.

Jeongin's travels were arduous, lasting almost two days until he reached Joseon. At Hwaseong Temple, he confronted a tiger guarding the Precious Porcelain. Transforming into his Kumiho form, Jeongin successfully defeated the tiger and obtained the prized item.

Returning to Gyeongju, Jeongin presented the porcelain to the King, who, impressed by his determination, announced the impending marriage of Yoon A and Jeongin. A week later, the couple was wed in a joyous ceremony.

Grateful for the King's acceptance and Yoon A's unwavering love, Jeongin expressed his heartfelt thanks, mentioning that the chocolates she had given him provided him with strength and energy.

Their union marked the beginning of a tradition among Korean women – the practice of giving handmade chocolates on what they now called THE WHITE DAY. And so, Yoon A and Jeongin lived happily ever after.

The End