|75| The Needle

The Needle
by Kringler Kirsten Kraft

Neo Jukneo, a Goryeo healer, resided in a clinic in Kaesong, North Korea named Haeminseo, renowned for treating royalty and the wealthy. Neo aspired to serve as the court physician.

A large crowd in Joseon waited for the famous physician Neo Jukneo to open his clinic. Neo greeted them warmly, assuring them of excellent treatment.

The war minister unexpectedly appeared at Haeminseo, expressing surprise at Neo's popularity and success. However, Neo declined the minister's request to skip the line, emphasizing equality.

Despite the minister's objections, Neo politely acknowledged him and bid him farewell. The minister left angrily, hurling insults and threats.

During his treatment, a bell rang, indicating the clinic's closing. Neo explained to the patients, including the minister, that urgent cases required immediate attention.

The next evening, Neo visited the minister of war at his residence. The minister arrogantly assumed Neo had acknowledged his status after seeing him bow deeply. However, Neo, using their past conversation, diagnosed the minister's ailment and prescribed therapy.

Neo admitted that he had behaved poorly earlier because he felt unworthy to treat such a respected figure in a less-than-ideal place. The minister laughed at Neo's confession.

Neo secretly visited noblemen's residences to cure them, often accepting payment through discreet means.

Back at his residence, as Neo slept, moonlight revealed writings inside one of his needle cases.

Court physician Heo Himneo, awakened by the rising sun, asked Neo for his opinion on using acupuncture to treat the sick king. Heo Himneo offered Neo a position as a court physician, but warned of execution for mistakes.

Late at night, Neo prepared for his meeting with the king, determined to win against Heo Himneo. Neo asked his needles if they would like to join him on a journey through time. Suddenly, he became fixated on a glowing, unused needle.

Undeterred, Neo proceeded to meet the king. Heo Himneo's eyes brightened as he took out new needles. However, Neo's hand shook violently as he approached the king's temple, forcing him to withdraw.

Fearful of the king's anger, Neo took a deep breath, but the king suddenly passed out. Neo fled the palace, chased by royal guards. At an isolated bridge, he looked down at his trembling hands, lamenting the missed opportunity.

Surrounded by guards, Neo raised his hands in surrender. Feeling a sharp pain in his chest from arrow wounds, he jumped off the bridge and into the river, following the needle case.

The End