|51| Park Family Tradition

Park Family Tradition
by Kerubin P. Maranan

What does it feel like to be found and be a part of something? To run to your family in joy and in sadness, to celebrate and be drowned in sorrow together. The coldness of being alone never goes away, even when covered with the thickest blanket. My mother's warm hug will never be replaced, nor the sound of children's laughter; the memory of my little siblings will always be etched in my heart.

"Oppa!" The door swung open and abruptly halted my early morning thoughts. Euna entered wearing her pink and black hanbok, making me sit straight up, admiring the beauty that she is.

"Oppa, you have to get up now. Halmae (Grandma) will be here soon, and if she doesn't see you wearing your hanbok, you know what you'll get."

She placed the hanbok, sewn by her grandmother for me, and it matched hers. Before leaving the room, she kissed me on the cheek.

(Note: "Oppa" is used here as a form of endearment, meaning older brother or what women call a man who is older than them but around their age.)

After a few stretches here and there, I stood up and got ready. Euna invited me to celebrate Chuseok with her family.

Since I hadn't celebrated this holiday since my parents died, she insisted I come along. Weirdly, the hanbok fit me like a glove. I had met Euna's parents before in Seoul but never her grandparents here in Gangwon. I shook off the thought and told myself to be grateful for celebrating Chuseok again with a family.

As soon as I walked out of the room, I was greeted by children screaming and running around, the TV blaring with the morning news, and the sound of busy people preparing our meal for the day.

"Taejin! Good, you're awake. Halmae and Harabeoji (Grandpa) just arrived; go greet them." If I were blindfolded, I would've been shocked when one of Euna's aunts grabbed my arm and pulled me into the other house where we would have our dinner later.

"Oppa!" Euna called, gesturing for me to come as she queued to greet her grandparents sitting in front of kids, teens, and adults. When I joined the line, Euna showered me with compliments and held my hand, saying the hanbok really suited me and maybe I should wear it often.

"My, look at this young lady!" Her grandmother exclaimed, squinting hard to see Euna. Euna twirled in front of her grandparents to show off the hanbok. After that, she gave them both a kiss, and that's when her grandfather laid his eyes on me.

"You do not look like a man from the Park family," he said with a clear Busan satoori (accent) I had ever heard.

"아니요 할아버지 (No, grandpa!) He is my boyfriend. Remember I told you I was going to introduce him to the family?"

"Why? Are you getting married already?"

My eyes widened, and I shook my head profusely before I heard both of them laugh. Oh, he's kidding.

"Euna-ya, are you ready for tonight? Remember you are going to lead the last part of our celebration."

Euna smiled and nodded.

After our short introduction, Euna brought me to the kitchen to help make more songpyeon and japchae, traditional meals during Chuseok. The women in the family were making them while outside the kitchen, children mimicked the talchum dance.

"Oppa, can you please get water from the well over there?" That's right.

Tap water isn't that easy to get in this part of Busan, so wells are used for water. I smiled and stood up to get the pail and fetch some water. However, while walking toward the deep well, I noticed some of Euna's aunts and uncles talking to some neighbors. They looked in my direction, so I simply bowed my head and went along my way.