|23| Wishing Through The Daylight

Wishing Through The Daylight
by Alyssa Marie V. Fuliga

"I'll confess my feelings for him once we reach the university's main gate."

Squeals of delight resonated from a group of college ladies in the ground floor hallway of the Department of Research. Classes ended an hour early for all year levels that sunny afternoon, although an instructor still patrolled the area, surprising them with a whistle that made hearts and wits jump. Apologizing with a bow to the instructor, the girls hurriedly departed.

"Oh, Arthit is coming our way. We better leave now!"

"Chok dee na!" (Good luck!)

Before the short-haired girl could react, her friends sprinted away faster than cheetahs.

"Hey, Chanthira. What's with them?" Arthit asked as he stood beside her.

"Um, the usual." Arthit got it immediately.

At this time, their friends usually scoured other colleges for handsome guys. Chanthira, though not a fan of their escapades, supported them as a way to unwind from academic stress. They typically walked home together, but this day was different due to Chanthira's plan. As they descended the stairs, her heartbeat raced, and her palms grew sweaty. The guy with her didn't seem to notice her nervousness, continuing to vent his frustrations about their homework. Although she might freak out at any moment, she managed to talk and laugh with her best friend's ramblings.

Upon reaching the university gate, Chanthira held Arthit's wrist, stopping him. Arthit gave her a confused expression. There was no way she could back out of her plans given the opportunity; she might regret it forever if she didn't seize it.

"I have something important to say to you," she said courageously, staring into the guy's confused eyes. "I like you, Arthit!"

Other students stopped to watch them. Arthit was dumbfounded by her confession, lost for words in fear of hurting her feelings.

Chanthira, sensing his hesitation, immediately retracted what she said.

"Um, just pretend you didn't hear anything."

The next day, Boonsri, their other best friend, approached her, asking about the confession. Chanthira answered that she didn't know how it went because Arthit didn't respond. Boonsri, sitting beside her, suggested that it wasn't a good sign.

If Chanthira wanted to know Arthit's answer, Boonsri advised her to go to the Central Area of Bangkok and find the Trimurthi Shrine. Chanthira researched the place and prepared offerings before going the next day. She bought a flower garland symbolizing love and the power of life, nine incense sticks, a pair of candles, a basket of red apples, and a bottle of red wine. Seated in front of the shrine, she wished for the best under the daylight. Luckily, she didn't have classes, so she prayed for a boyfriend with the same qualities as her best friend, whom she liked romantically.

Two days later, nothing changed for the worse between Chanthira and Arthit. According to Boonsri's observation, they got even closer than ever, and Arthit became touchier. For odd reasons, Chanthira didn't feel happy about it. Instead, she was confused by Arthit's actions. He even left a piece of Torch Ginger flower on her desk.

"Wait, could it be that Arthit feels the same way towards you?" Boonsri said, looking at the flower.

"Mai. He could have told me that earlier." (No.)

Boonsri countered Chanthira's statement, saying that Arthit is too nice and sensitive to hurt someone's feelings. "Tell me, what kind of guy did you wish for?" she asked.

As she responded, Boonsri almost squealed in excitement. The next days felt like heaven for her friends who loved to see her together with Arthit, but it remained confusing for Chanthira. Until a month had passed, she didn't bother to ask him about what was happening.

When Arthit handed her another Torch Ginger flower at the university gates, it was the cue she was waiting for to confront him.

"Arthit, we're still friends, right?" she interrogated him as soon as she received the flower.

"Do you know why I kept on giving you Torch Gingers?"

Chanthira knew that the flower symbolized everlasting love in their country, but why did Arthit choose to give her that flower when he hadn't formally expressed his feelings?

"You never told me anything that day."

Arthit smiled at her.

"It's because I was still unsure of my feelings for you." He held her hand.

"But now, I'm sure that I feel the same towards you."

The world flipped for the two of them. Chanthira was at a loss for words, like Arthit was when she confessed.

"Not gonna say anything? Okay, then."

He was about to leave when Chanthira grabbed his wrist.

"Are you seriously leaving

me alone after you told me that you liked me too?"

"Of course not!"

The couple walked home hand in hand under that sunny afternoon. Maybe the Trimurthi gods had granted her wish before she even prayed for it, or perhaps Chanthira's persistence had something to do with it.

The End