|130| Life is a Mere Dream

Life is a Mere Dream

by Aezelle H. Ulan

As the sun rose, reaching every part of the Dreamverse, a warm and contagious smile was plastered on the pudu's face as he make way through the busy hall of the Neverland palace to commence with his work in the kitchen. "Finally, our ball of sunshine has arrived, I suddenly feel my lips twitching", one of his friends inside the kitchen said. 

Devon greeted everyone he encountered as he left his home, it was undeniable that his presence can make you feel at ease and his personality is indescribable. He has a very welcoming and cheerful personality that he is able to befriend everyone he meets, even his little fox friend, Reed, who seems to be fierce all the time but is a soft ball inside. 

On the core of the palace, an outrageous lion, Markus is stomping his way back to his chamber after having a talk with his father, the King. It was revealed that before he inherits the throne, he must marry someone in which they have already chosen. A cold-looking eagle flew his way through the window of the lion's room and after he saw the state of the lion, he sighed and smiled showing his crescent eye smile.

"Hey Simba, I heard the news, I don't think you want to talk about it, but whatever your plan is, know that we will always support you" the eagle named Jace comforts his friend. Markus, the lion and also the prince of the palace, shrugs and sits straight wearing his sad eyes as his arms are slumped back. 

"I would never marry someone I don't even love and even know, I already have someone, why can't they just let me be the one to decide for myself" he spats back to his friend who only listens intently to his words. 

The words immediately spread throughout the palace which is also proven by the arrival of a fine and graceful lioness, Nala. Devon is wearing his usual smile not until his friend Reed together with a bunny, Jaxon, approaches him. They knew him better than anyone, and they are certain that those smiles are fake. 

There are things that can't be enclosed to the crowd, fear being the enemy of this truth.

The busy halls of the palace are packed with different animals working together to prepare for the most-awaited wedding of the crowned prince. Jace is busy guarding the place as he flaps his wings to monitor everything, while Reed being the personal server of the prince is working in things inside the chamber of Markus. Jaxon is hopping around the garden as he is in charge of the exterior design of it. Devon, on the other hand, is not his usual self which bothers everyone as he silently works in the corner of the kitchen. 

As the wedding ceremony starts, Markus is seen looking annoyed and bored at the end of the aisle. Until the exchanging of vows came, Markus stared blankly at the priest and to the lioness in front of her. A deafening silence reigned the four corners of the and it was evident that his parents are confused with their son's behavior. 

It shocked everyone when Markus firmly said "I Don't" and let go of the palm of the lioness he was holding.

Murmurs were heard as he faced the crowd looking for a specific Pudu. He marched his way down the aisle to the side of the room and grabbed pudu's hand, it was Devon. Everyone is puzzled about the incident happening in front of them.

There inside the room, Markus expressed his undying love for his best friend, and revealed to everyone their relationship. Everyone gasped and the whispers only got louder by the second. The King and Queen, however, were smiling, they knew it, they knew their son very well.

"I don't care if any of you object with the way I feel, and I don't think I need Nala if I already have my pudu", Markus said to the crowd while looking fondly at his sunshine, and Devon could only silently utter his name as he was being dragged away from the place

He chose him. His SImba chose him over Nala. And maybe it's not your typical love story where

Simba gets to marry his Nala, us is just different, and I don't regret having the chance to experience this and take the risk.

"Well, not the ending that I was expecting, where did you get this book, hmm?"Jarreth says as he closes the book entitled " ... " to his daughter Chienna who was then having her eyes half open due to sleepiness. 

"It was a great story, dad. And I love SImba for being brave, I think they're cute...", she wasn't able to finish her sentence as her eyes failed her and afterwards a tiny snore came out of her mouth. 

Suddenly, in the middle of the night, Chienna woke up recalling her dreams, "A dream, they're in my dreams", and she fell back asleep again.

The End