|36| Trench Coat's Pocket

Trench Coat's Pocket
by Danica Joyce N. Cidamon

Meet Dave Tan, a seemingly ordinary guy from Beijing, China, with an extraordinary story to share. Seven years ago, I found the love of my life, Kat. Our parents, once business partners, had orchestrated a fixed marriage. Despite the unconventional start, we were happy, in sync, and incredibly supportive of each other. Little did I know, everything would change when Kat discovered a secret from my past – a girl I had five years ago.

Ironically, Kat's love for me endured, just as strong as it was back then. Yet, I wasn't satisfied; I deceived her in 2015 and continued to cheat on her. Astonishingly, she forgave me each time, even on the days when her beautiful eyes reflected the pain I inflicted, and tears streamed down her face.

The change didn't come from Kat; it was me who lost my love for her. I transformed from being her dependable wall and comforting handkerchief into someone unrecognizable. My actions led to the cancellation of our fixed marriage, and our parents severed their business partnership because of my betrayal.

One day, Kat messaged me to meet at the Great Wall of China, our cherished anniversary spot. As I approached her, tears welled up in her eyes, and she uttered, "I wrote a letter for you and put it in your trench coat's pocket."

Reading her letter, I discovered the painful truth:

"Hi Love, Happy 7th anniversary,"

"I know it's been a rough 7 years for us. You cheated a thousand times,"

"You made me feel that I am not good enough and I'm unimportant to you and the stupid part is that I still forgive and love you even though you've hurt me a thousand times,"

"I learned my lesson,"

"Maybe it's time for me to choose myself now,"

"I loved you so much that I forgot to love myself,"

"I do not repent that I love you, I regret that I've valued you more than myself,"

"I do not deserve this. I'm sorry, but it's time for us to go our separate ways. I love you, Goodbye,"

After reading her heartfelt words, I looked at her. She smiled through tears, and I watched her turn away. I did nothing to stop her. All I did was witness the woman who had given me everything walk away.

The End