|146 | The Betrayal

The Betrayal 
Khayla V. Nuque

In the village outside the Nut Kingdom, the sun rose on a couple facing the challenges of a land drought. They worked tirelessly as farmers, toiling away in the fields owned by King Almond. Life was simple, and they found joy in their daily routine, until the unforgiving drought hit, casting a shadow over their once-happy existence.

As the months passed, the climate remained unchanged, and the couple found themselves drowning in unpaid bills and taxes. In a harsh turn of events, King Almond decided to foreclose on their house, leaving the couple devastated. Desperation set in, and the once-happy farmers became burdened with worries about their future.

It was then that Peanut remembered an old man's tale about a hidden treasure in the perilous Nut Forest. With a glimmer of hope, Peanut shared the idea with Cashew, envisioning the treasure as their salvation. Little did they know that the Nut Forest held secrets far more dangerous than they could imagine.

Undeterred by the risks, the couple set out on a journey to find the elusive treasure. Along the way, they encountered the very same old man who had spoken of the treasure before. Hungry and tired, the old man sought help, but Cashew callously refused, angering the old man. Uttering words of warning that went unheeded, the old man vanished into thin air, leaving the couple puzzled but undeterred.

Days passed, and to their amazement, they stumbled upon what seemed to be the treasure they sought. Excitement filled their hearts as they eagerly carried the supposed fortune back home. However, as they crossed a precarious hanging bridge, Cashew's true intentions surfaced. In a shocking betrayal, Cashew pushed Peanut off the bridge, believing the treasure to be real.

Unbeknownst to Cashew, the treasure was nothing more than an illusion, a curse set by the vengeful old man. Overjoyed with the false belief that she had succeeded, Cashew reached the other side of the bridge only to discover the cruel reality. The gold she thought she possessed had turned into worthless rocks, and laughter echoed as the old man revealed himself.

Meanwhile, Peanut, after surviving the fall, stumbled upon the true treasure hidden in the heart of the forest. Oblivious to Cashew's betrayal, Peanut collected enough wealth to return to the village and pay off all the debts to King Almond.

As Cashew remained trapped in the curse, Peanut returned to the village, hailed as a hero who had overcome the odds. The once-happy couple's tale took a dark turn, teaching the villagers a valuable lesson about greed, betrayal, and the consequences of underestimating the enchantments of the Nut Forest.

And so, the Nut Kingdom's story continued, woven with the threads of treachery and redemption, leaving the villagers to ponder the complexities of trust and the true nature of hidden treasures.

The End