|66| Under the Tree

Under the Tree
by Ayessa H. Castañeda

It's four in the afternoon when Okinawa arrives at their hidden spot, Pearl's favorite place under the Pinus thunbergii tree. While Pearl is on her way, Okinawa begins preparing the food, laying out a blanket on the grass and arranging snacks on a plate alongside his homemade bento. Despite their busy schedules, they make sure to set aside time once a month for a picnic, marking today as their 5th anniversary. Okinawa intends to make it special, bringing a necklace with his name for Pearl.

As Okinawa busily prepares for their picnic, he is surprised by Pearl's sudden tight hug from behind. "I miss you," Pearl confesses, to which Okinawa replies, "I miss you too, my darling."

Before diving into their meal, Okinawa asks Pearl to close her eyes, revealing the necklace with a sweet note. Overwhelmed, Pearl tears up and expresses her gratitude. They share a moment of tenderness, and Okinawa reassures her that having her there is the best gift.

"Thank you for preparing all my favorite foods," Pearl says.

"Anything for you, my darling," Okinawa replies.

After their sweet meal, they lay on the blanket, discussing their future, and soon, they fall asleep, unnoticed by anyone around. Eventually, a passerby approaches Okinawa, urging him to continue his rest at home. Suddenly, the dream-like moment with Pearl ends.

As Okinawa wakes up, he commemorates their 5th anniversary with heartfelt words, expressing regret and sorrow for not being there when Pearl needed him the most. He blames himself for her death and declares his everlasting love for her.

With a heavy heart, Okinawa folds the blanket and cleans up the leftover food. He walks away from the tree, their special spot where they first met, carrying the weight of memories and a love that endures even in loss.

The End