|94| Silver Spoon

Silver Spoon
by Mayleen De Leon

Once upon a time, in a small house belonging to the Seon family, a quiet dinner unfolded. Seated around the table were the mother, the father, the eldest daughter Seon Deok-sun, and the younger sister Bora. Amidst the familial atmosphere, the father suddenly broached a heavy topic.

"Are you aware of the family situation, the bankruptcy of our business?" he inquired, directing his question to the oldest, Deok-sun.

"Yes, abeoji," she replied, her tone betraying the weight of the impending conversation. The father then revealed the family tradition that dictated the responsibility of the eldest to marry someone chosen by the family, a move intended to salvage the crumbling business. The chosen partner in this fixed marriage was Choi Taek.

As a daughter and a woman in the family, Deok-sun found herself bound by tradition, unable to defy her father's will. She sat in silence, grappling with the weight of the decision.

The following day brought the first meeting with her intended, Choi Taek. Though he presented himself as a gentleman and a handsome man, Deok-sun remained indifferent, her heart reluctant to accept him.

After the formalities with the other family, Deok-sun sought solace and fresh air. At the market, she encountered an ajumma who, sensing her inner turmoil, made an unusual offer. Recognizing Deok-sun's kind heart, the ajumma handed her a silver spoon, claiming it had the power to change her fate.

Intrigued and desperate, Deok-sun learned that all she needed to do was place food in someone's mouth to swap souls. Driven by a desire to escape her impending fate, she made a life-altering decision. Choosing her younger sister, Bora, as the vessel for her escape, she performed the soul-switching ritual.

However, the reality of watching her sister endure the responsibilities and expectations she had sought to escape proved too much for Deok-sun. Before dawn, burdened by guilt and empathy, she reversed the process and returned to her own body.

In the aftermath, the sisters shared a heartfelt embrace. Bora, having briefly experienced her sister's struggles, offered comfort and understanding. It was in this moment of acceptance that the story found its conclusion, as Deok-sun came to terms with the challenges that life had thrown her way.

The End