|149| Death is Liberty

Death is Liberty
Llanes, Daniela Louie S.

Grief, an unwelcome companion, often makes its presence felt long after a loss has occurred. In the arduous journey of living with pain and confronting the harsh reality of death, some find solace in grief counseling. However, there is an intriguing woman named Hunter who views death through an unexpectedly positive lens.

Hunter begins by challenging the conventional perspective on death. While many associate death with sorrow and fear, Hunter aims to shed light on the positive aspects of this inevitable part of life. She shares a poignant story about a man named Simon Creel, whose experience challenges the traditional narrative.

Simon's story unfolds with the mundane yet frustrating event of receiving an electric bill notice. The weight of a long and exhausting day at work coupled with financial stress takes a toll on Simon's mood. However, his wife, Amanda, sensing his frustration, urges him to sit and take a deep breath. Amanda, mindful of shielding their daughter from Simon's distress, becomes a pillar of strength in the face of adversity.

The narrative takes a poignant turn when Simon, after collapsing and waking up in a hospital, learns of his chronic heart disease. Faced with the harsh reality of his mortality, Simon seeks answers from the doctor about his remaining time. Amanda, recognizing the importance of maintaining hope, reassures Simon with positive affirmations, emphasizing his strength over his illness.

Amanda, fueled by love and desperation, prays fervently for Simon's recovery. In a heart-wrenching twist, Simon utters his final words, expressing awe at a mysterious beauty beckoning him. Hunter reveals Emily Dickinson's quote, "Dying is a wild night and a new road," finding resonance in Simon's last words.

Hunter emphasizes her belief that death offers liberty from pain and suffering, a sense of freedom for the soul. She encourages the living to make the most of their time, free from the shackles of worry about death. In eternal oblivion, she suggests embracing peace and enjoying the serenity it brings.

Reflecting on Simon's journey, Hunter posits that perhaps the reason he did not insist on giving up was the pain he endured. While his passing was undoubtedly challenging for his family, the silver lining lies in the cessation of his suffering.

Hunter, a participant in the group conversation, drops a surprising revelation – she is Simon Creel's daughter. The revelation stuns the group, adding a layer of intrigue to the narrative. The girls are eager to learn more about the dreams Hunter shared with her departed father.

As Hunter recounts the dream, she reveals a powerful statement from Simon: "Death is surprisingly a wonderful experience." The profoundness of this declaration lingers, challenging the preconceived notions surrounding death.

In conclusion, Hunter leaves the question hanging: "To you, do you think death gives freedom?" The story provokes contemplation on the complex nature of death and invites readers to reconsider their perceptions of this universal, yet enigmatic, experience.

The End