|88| The Mermaid and the Lion

The Mermaid and the Lion
by Michaella Belen "Mich"

In the roaring beginnings of the Lion City, dating all the way back to the 1200s, legend has it that the Prince of Palembang of the Srivijaya Empire, known as Sang Nila Utama, spotted an island across the sea while he was on a hunting expedition.

The prince, an adventurous and curious man eager to explore the world, consulted his chief minister, Kwan Sai Kheong, about the land he had observed. He learned it was called Temasek.

Determined to set foot on the island, Sang Nila Utama returned to his ship and set sail. However, a violent storm erupted during their journey, forcing him and his crew to jettison heavy items, including his crown, to keep the ship afloat. The sea spirit Jinn, thinking the thrown crown was an offering, calmed the storm. They then safely arrived at the shores of Temasek.

While exploring the island, Sang Nila Utama spotted a mysterious beast resembling a lion. Filled with fear, his crew panicked and threw a stone at the lion. The creature growled and attacked, leading the brave prince to engage in a fierce battle to protect his crew.

As the crew sought his sword on the ship, Sang Nila Utama, amidst the fight, struck his head and awoke to find a woman by his side. She introduced herself as Singha and explained that she had scared the beast away by blowing a horn before disappearing under the sea. The prince, captivated by Singha's beauty and boldness, chose to stay on the island and eventually married her.

Years passed, and they had a child named Lim Nang Seng. Curious like his father, Lim questioned why he never saw his mother swim in the sea. Alarmed, Singha revealed to her son that she was afraid of the ocean.

In their early days, Singha had confided in Sang Nila Utama about a curse placed on her father by Jinn, a sea creature. Jinn promised to release him if Singha could find and kill a mermaid, throwing its tail into the sea. Afraid of the sea, Singha shared this burden with the prince, who vowed to find the mermaid's tail to free her father.

While keeping this secret from their son, Singha also lied to Sang Nila Utama about her father being under a curse. In truth, her parents had died in a war, and she had been living independently as a fisherwoman. Singha had set a trap to catch Jinn, who stole her fish. Not realizing Jinn was a spirit, she agreed to release him in exchange for a wish. Singha tricked Jinn and threw him into the sea. In retaliation, Jinn cast a spell, turning her into a shapeshifter and forbidding her from crossing the sea. If she touched the sea, she would permanently transform into a lion, losing her memories as punishment for her greed. Moreover, if a human witnessed her shape-shifting, she would be devoured by the sea.

One day, while Sang Nila Utama was away searching for a mermaid, Lim Nang Seng caught a fish and drew water from the sea. Excited, he called for his mother, causing Singha to run toward him. However, he tripped, spilling the water on her. Lim Nang Seng witnessed her transformation into a lion, and in fear, she attempted to devour him.

When Sang Nila Utama returned with news of catching a mermaid, he found a lion eating his son. In his dismay, he sought revenge, slaying the lion, unaware that it was his transformed wife. A large wave and a loud noise from the ocean signaled Jinn's revenge. The land trembled, a large crack ran through Singha's body, and, having killed Jinn's daughter (the mermaid), Sang Nila Utama, along with his lifeless wife and son, was devoured by the water spirit's rage.

In memory of this tragic tale, Kwan Sai Kheong erected a monument in Temasek, renaming it Singapura, meaning the Lion City. He crafted the iconic "Merlion" sculpture to commemorate the event, and the nearby waterfall is believed to symbolize Lim Nang Seng's agony. Some speculate that Singha knew about Jinn's daughter and manipulated her husband to inadvertently carry out the sea spirit's revenge.

The End