|40| She Fell In Love with the Gumiho

She Fell In Love with the Gumiho
by Felismino, Kristin Kelly B.

Shin Gyeong-Hui is considered the most beautiful girl in the Kingdom of Baekjae. She is the first and only girl in the Shin family, and her name, Gyeong-Hui, signifies respect, honor, and beauty. Adored by everyone in the kingdom due to the Shin family's history of having only sons, Gyeong-Hui grew up to be not just the most beautiful woman in Baekjae but also the wisest and most skilled physician.

Arranged to marry Buyeo Gusu, the son of King Geunchego and Baekjae's most powerful warrior, the people of the kingdom viewed them as the ideal couple. Enthusiasm for their wedding was palpable.

However, a twist of fate occurred when Buyeo Gusu returned home injured from war, requiring a special herb from the Kingdom of Sillia for a full recovery. Gyeong-Hui and other physicians embarked on a journey to Sillia in search of the necessary medicine.

In Silla, Gyeong-Hui encountered Jung Woo-yeo, a 444-year-old gumiho, or mythical nine-tailed fox. Woo-yeo, residing in Hanok Village, assisted Gyeong-Hui in her quest. As they spent time together, they discovered many similarities, bonding over their knowledge of aiding people and their shared enjoyment of reading Sijo, traditional Korean poetry.

Back in Baekjae, Gyeong-Hui couldn't shake off the memories of her time with Woo-yeo. Despite the challenges and societal expectations, their connection deepened into love. News of their relationship, however, caused a rift, with many people expressing disappointment in Gyeong-Hui.

Upon learning of the situation, King Geunchego ordered all men in Baekjae to kill Woo-yeo. Led by Buyeo Gusu, the warriors went to Silla to carry out the king's command. However, when Buyeo Gusu found Woo-yeo with Gyeong-Hui, he defied the order and let them go, declaring his love for Gyeong-Hui.

"I love Gyeong-Hui with all my heart. And if I truly love her, then the only thing that I want for her is to be happy, even if it's not with me."

-Buyeo Gusu expressed.

Gyeong-Hui and Woo-yeo left the village, seeking refuge in the Kingdom of Goguryeo, where they spent the remainder of their lives. Meanwhile, Buyeo Gusu eventually ascended to become the King of Baekjae.

The End