|48| The Liar Daughter

The Liar Daughter
by Melody M. Manallo

Once upon a time, there was a college student named Da-Eun. Apart from possessing a nasty attitude and being skilled at lying, she also caused her mother constant headaches due to her laziness, especially when it came to household tasks and schoolwork.

One morning, Da-Eun's mother struggled to wake her up for school, a daily challenge. Spending an hour just to rouse her daughter and send her to school, her mother faced constant difficulties. "Okay fine, I'm awake!" Da-Eun shouted begrudgingly.

Upon reaching school, she realized she had forgotten to complete her homework, a fact her professor announced when collecting assignments. Da-Eun, engrossed in video games and neglectful of her responsibilities, quickly devised a lie. As her professor approached, she abruptly stood up, claiming, "Ma'am, I'm sorry, but I have to leave. There's an emergency; my mother was taken to the hospital." This was, in fact, a fabrication. Instead of heading home, she spent half the day at a computer shop.

Unexpectedly, Da-Eun received a message stating that her mother was in the hospital and on the verge of passing away. Overwhelmed with panic and remorse, she raced to the hospital, weeping bitterly. Upon arrival, Da-Eun apologized profusely to her mother for her lies and acknowledged her shortcomings as a lazy and terrible daughter.

Regrettably, it was too late. The doctor, having spoken to her, revealed that Da-Eun's mother had cancer, a truth unbeknownst to her.

The End