|148| The Deafening Silence of Gu Ning

The Deafening Silence of Gu Ning
by Abby Joyce R. Javier

"When will this end?" The perpetual question echoed through the corridors of my mind, an incessant plea for respite from the torment I endured daily. Living through a hellish existence, I questioned why I had to navigate a world that seemed determined to judge and criticize. The desire to escape my very existence loomed large, the weight of being bullied for a perceived defect unbearable. Why must I endure this?

As I trod along the corridors of this seemingly endless nightmare, the intensity of their stares bore into me. Deafness, my constant companion, shielded me from the cruel symphony of their unsolicited opinions. Unaware of their verbal taunts, I forged ahead, determined to reach the refuge of my classroom.

"Look how she's acting like she's all that."

"She looks so ugly, and her being deaf didn't help either."

Their words, mere whispers of cruelty, punctuated my journey. Ignoring their venomous barbs, I pressed on until the sanctuary of my classroom welcomed me. Seated at my desk, I silently prayed for the day's swift conclusion, yearning for an end to the relentless torment.

The entrance of our adviser heralded the arrival of a newcomer, a stranger navigating the landscape of my daily struggles. The teacher, fluent in sign language, introduced him as he took the seat beside me. A fleeting moment of curiosity emerged – a potential seatmate for once. My gaze, uninterested, remained fixed ahead. However, the peace was ephemeral; a gentle poke disrupted my solitude.

"What's your name?" he mouthed.

Staring back, I signaled my deafness, hoping to deter further attempts at communication. Unperturbed, he continued his efforts, a cascade of unintelligible words escaping his lips. The class erupted in laughter, a collective mockery directed at my perceived isolation.

"Hahaha! Don't even try talking to her. You'll just be talking to yourself."

"She can't hear for goodness' sake. She's deaf!"

Silence engulfed me, a deafening reminder of my perceived difference. A well of tears threatened to overflow when, unexpectedly, my seatmate rose. A ripple of excitement tinged with apprehension coursed through me. Was he standing up for me?

"Stop saying those words! Can you hear yourselves? She's your classmate. You're supposed to understand her because she is also human. She's a person with feelings, and her being different doesn't give you the right to criticize her."

The laughter ceased, replaced by dumbfounded expressions. What had he said? The teacher intervened, restoring order to the chaos. Throughout the day, my seatmate, Leng Shaoting, persisted in trying to communicate. An unstoppable force, he refused to succumb to the laughter and jeers.

I anticipated the pestering to cease after a day or two, but it didn't. Leng Shaoting, relentless in his pursuit, transformed from a mere annoyance to someone I considered a friend. A beacon of light, he shattered the deafening silence that had enveloped me. His persistence allowed me to experience happiness in a world that once seemed devoid of it.

Leng Shaoting, undeterred by my hearing impairment, etched his name into my life. He handed me a piece of paper with his name, signaling the beginning of an unexpected friendship. His unwavering support made me smile, dispelling the emptiness that had plagued me for so long. He became my ray of sunshine, helping me navigate a dark world and showing me what it meant to truly live.

The relentless pursuit of my seatmate slowly evolved into something beautiful. Leng Shaoting, the steadfast friend who stood up for me, unraveled the symphony of joy, filling my world with the melody of understanding and acceptance. In him, I found the strength to embrace my uniqueness, realizing that I wasn't defective but distinctly unique – a fact I could now be proud of. The once-deafening silence now resonates with laughter, camaraderie, and the triumph of acceptance.

The End