Chapter 89

Yanique's POV
6:30 am
Thursday

"He's doing just fine" I tell Jessica.

I place the phone on the table and connect it to my AirPods so I can move around the bathroom freely as I engage in a group call with Patrice and Jessica over the phone.

"When is his next visit to the pediatrician... we wanna be there" Patrice insists.

I couldn't ask for better friends and I get that they all want to be here for Laden and I but we all have finals coming up and I couldn't ask that much from neither of them.

"Actually it's next week but his father and his grandma will be taking him since I have exam that day" I take Laden from his bath and wrap his blanket around him, he never makes a fuss about having a bath in the mornings , I think the only part he doesn't like is having to put on his diapers.

His father says I should let him wonder around on the bed a little before I rush into dressing him.

I think he's way too young to have his own way.

"Speaking of grandma , Miss Grace have been messaging me constantly trying to get to you. She said something about Lando not wanting her to contact you after the whole situation when he refused to give her a visitor's pass when you were in the hospital" Jessica tells me.

Wait what...

He did what?

Lando wouldn't dare to do such a thing, here I am thinking it was her idea not to show up even though I made sure Jessica told her which hospital I was staying and even sent her Lando's phone number.

I genuinely feel hurt by this , despite everything she is always gonna be my mother.

Laden begins fussing and I use that as an excuse to end the call early , even though the true reason is because I need to confront Lando about this.

I give Laden a toy to distract him and soon I'm done getting him dressed.

Lando enters the bedroom.

"Mek mi tek ova , yuh can guh study and get some food fi consume" Lando hugs me from behind and I pull away from him then leave the room.

Lando's POV

12:36pm

"Busshead dat negative! No man nuh mek a move until mi seh suh. Mi ave a move fi mek today den mi mek yuh know wah gwan" I explain.

The call ends and I return to feeding Max then I head back inside the house to take a shower.

Mi need fi touch di road right now.

"Did you tell my mother she wasn't allowed to see me while I was inside the hospital?" Yanique walks closer to me . I'm standing in the bathroom naked about to take a shower , I knew earlier there was something wrong but it didn't seem like the right time to address it. Now certainly isn't.

I would prefer if she focused on her studies and not  something like this.I also need to be out in less than a hour. What I'm about to do , needs to be done on time.

I take a towel and wrap around my waist , I can see where this is going.

"Yes I did" I answer truthfully.

"Why! It was not your place to make that call" she whisper yells, considering that Laden is inside the next room.

I close our bedroom door , since she insists on saying something then I'll be glad to create the space where she can speak her mind openly.

"Wah di fuck yuh mean it wasn't my place ?" I scuff and walk over to her.

"I was at my lowest and I wanted her there Lando.."

"You were at your lowest because dem put yuh deh! Yuh fucking evil parents couldn't even put dem bloodclaat pettiness aside and consider seh yuh pregnant. Instead dem cause yuh all dat fucking stress and almost mek yuh lose mi ute!"

Di look in her eyes. I've seen it before.

Not this again Jah!

Not now.

Ever since the incident this has been my first time ever speaking on it , I don't think it should have happened this way. At least not through anger , I can remember the nurse telling me how much worse it could have been for us and I knew it was very much my job to step up and protect her. Even from those she can't seem to let go of.

"Wah if yuh did lose mi ute? Wah you or dem wuda tell mi seh?... ehh?" I look her dead in the eyes, I know it's anger that speaks through me and it's way too fucking late to take back my words now.

I walk back to the bathroom and leave her there speechless without looking back.

If I have to witness that look on her face once again it would ruin me.

Yanique's POV

I repeat his words and it leaves a bad taste inside my mouth. Did he just threaten me?

That's how I feel.

I always knew the whole situation was never easy on him but he never spoke on it and he never seemed to resent me in any way for what happened but for the first time I am convinced he does, even if it is just a little.

I sob.

I need to breathe fresh air so I finally find the strength to move from where I've been planted . I walk to the backyard and as soon as the door shuts I burst into tears.