Chapter 95

Lando's POV There is one thing in life that is undefeated and promised to everyone

Lando's POV
There is one thing in life that is undefeated and promised to everyone...death.

There is no cure , and absolutely no warning...

It gives zero chances.

My brother was killed in front of his house this  evening , my life changed drastically today. I can remember every detail of the moment when I got the news, the smell of the day , even what the weather was like but mostly the crushing pain inside my chest that overwhelmed me.

Even though I always knew time has a way of catching up I still wish I could turn the hands of time for just another day to spend with him.

He wasn't innocent, I'm sure he made a lot of people cry but it doesn't lessen the severity of my wounds.

The picture of his lifeless body inside his car stains my memory, his eyes were left wide open as if he saw the darkness before he took his last breath.

I finish up my sixth spliff and begin to roll another one. I take a glance at the documents on the table in front of me and I can't allow myself to rethink my decision for a second.

I know what needs to be done.

I can't stay sober , I can't allow myself to feel anything.

What I need right now is something to save me from my own misery.

I load my Taurus, holding back on the urge to get inside my car and blow the steam off my trigger finger. Instead I wait , seated around the table smoking my joint for as long as time propels me to.

The only thing that has kept me sane is my son, knowing that my action will affect him somehow one day.

Yanique POV
11:35pm

I finally arrive home , after hours of driving from Kingston.

I can smell the weed before I see Lando seated inside the living room, he never smokes inside the house.

There is barely enough light to see his face.

What the heck is going on?

I know he wasn't expecting me tonight but how was I suppose to continue with my life knowing that he is at his lowest point.

"Wah ya duh home?" He turns on the living room light and the first thing I notice is the gun on the table with a bunch of folders.

My heart is pounding, the hurt inside his eyes make me wonder what is going on inside his mind, what was he gonna do with a gun.

"Babe , you are the best dad I know in this world. Let me say that first , so you know you have so much here for you... I am so sorry for your lost " I would usually be in tears but he needs me now. I will be strong enough for him.

"Wah yuh think mi did aguh do wid di gun" he raise his eyebrow in question.

I sigh, I stay silent because I can't find the courage to tell him what was my first thought when I walked inside a dark room filled with smoke and he was seated with a gun on the table.

"Here" he hands me the folder.

"What's this" I want to hug him but the pain and anger that his eyes hold inside of them  makes me skeptical of how to approach him. I don't know if he is ready to be vulnerable or he wants to be left alone for a while.

"What's this" I don't bother to open it.

"You and Laden passport and visa. The address and key to your new apartment."

Wait what!

I take a look inside and he wasn't lying , my knees are about to fail me as soon as I read the address and I step back catching my balance quickly.

44 E. West Street Ashland, OH 44805
Canada.

"We are not going" I toss the envelope on the table and hug on to him desperate to pull him back out of the darkness that surrounds him.

"Yuh flight leave tomorrow, yuh can get di job and everything yuh always want...start over... take care a wi son" he breaks down. I feel his tears wet my shoulder and I hold his head against me.

I feel the weight of his body upon me and I know he has given into his sadness.

"Lando, your son needs you! I need you! Please don't ... don't do this"

This can't be goodbye , I will not accept it.

There is no way I'm raising our son by myself .

"Come with us, we can start over together" I know he thinks this is his way of protecting us , by now I can tell he sees the danger approaching but I'm already in this with him and I will not walk away now.

Not when we have so much to at stake , we both have worked too hard to get to this point.

"Yan mi aguh fawud , just wan yuh fi liff up first while mi mek some arrangement fi join yuh"

Seems like his plan is already set in stones.

"How long will I have to wait?" I now look into his eyes , his words mean everything to me. I need him to know that I'm counting on him.

"Two days" I'm relieve to know it's not weeks nor months. Two days of waiting and worrying is still a lot but I will hold it down for him as long as I know he's coming back to me.

"Two days Lando! Not a minute over. Promise me"

"Promise... go pack whatever you want. Wayne aguh bring yuh gah di airport tomorrow. Get some rest too"

It's hard to recognize someone when pain and trauma has made them into something different. I can't tell if I'll ever see him genuinely smile again,or how long it will take for him to heal from his wounds.

I don't know what step to take for him to understand I'm here for him, but until then I'll try everything in my power .

I walk to the room to take a look at our son, it gives me joy to see him sleep peacefully. I kiss his cheek and tears form inside my eyes , I then begin packing our stuff. Still holding back on my tears because I dare not to be weak in such a time.