Chapter 94

Yanique's POV

Thursday 2:30 pm

Tomorrow is my last day of University, 4 Exams down and one more to go then I'm officially done! So far I feel confident and composed. I couldn't do this without knowing I have the best father for my child , he hasn't given me not one reason to worry since I've left Mobay.

He makes sure I talk to Laden as much as I can over video call, he takes him on his business trips and doesn't even mention leaving him with a sitter because he knows how paranoid I am.

He never complains not once and makes it look so easy and fun being a dad to our son.

I replay the video he sent a few minutes ago.

"Yuh na stop watch dat fi now" Patrice sits next to me on the couch. I giggle.

She joins me and we both start laughing at Lando's fail attempt to put on Laden's diaper. This the one thing he hasn't mastered as yet.

I swear I can't tell who's more scared, Lando or Laden.

"Watch ya ! Suh him nuh see seh the diaper turn back way on di baby" Patrice burst out into laughter.

"Him figure it out eventually but that has been his way of putting it on for awhile now" I tell her.

We laugh.

6:00pm

We are both seated inside her living room going through a few past papers , her grandma has fed us countless times since day and I'm now suffering from neuritis and as the evening goes by I know it's time for me to go back to my hotel room.

I would love to stay here with Patrice but as we all know by now Lando would grow gray hair from all the stress he'd have to endure if I were to stay at Ambrook Lane.

"You no see seh a 6 o'clock now , fi put di TV pan news fimi" Patrice grandma walks into the living room and this is my cue to leave.

I had no idea it was this late!

I need to get some rest for tomorrow, I can now feel butterflies inside my stomach as I think about the relief I'll soon feel! Four years has been way too long and now it's coming to an end!

Thank God.

Plus I can't wait to touch Laden , I miss him so much it hurts.

"Grandma , yuh need a alarm ... how yuh manage when mi nuh deh ya?" Patrice turns on the TV.

I pack my books and help her clean up the table.

"In prime time news this evening , Mobay's most wanted Don , Lawrence Hamilton who goes by the name Renzo was shot and killed at his house in an investigation carried out by the FBI....."

I freeze.

My world stops.

My heart feels heavy like a stone sinking in quicksand and a cloud of saddens burst over me.

This feeling is unfamiliar , like the life has been knocked out of me using a hammer. Instantly I fall to my knees, my brain comprehends that something life changing has happened but my heart aches unwilling, not able to handle it.

"Yanique" I hear my name.

"Yan! Yan! Yan!!!" I feel like someone is trying to wake me from a year of nightmares nonstop.

I look up , I see Patrice face. She hugs me and I immediately know I'm tangible , the is not a dream. This is true.

This is really happening.

She sobs but I'm unable to move , my whole body has shut down moments ago.

Lando!

Where is Lando !

The silence screams inside my ear ;defending reminder that I need to respond.I still haven't said a word. My tears fall in sorrow.

I finally burst out crying.

"This isn't true! This can't be true!!" I shout

"Call Lando" my voice trembles.

It has been one hour of constantly calling Lando's phone none stop and no answer. I arrive back to my hotel and start packing my things to check out.

I just know I have to head back home, nothing else makes sense right now and I need to know my son and fiancé are both safe.

I called Miss Wright and she wasn't able to give me an answer to any of my questions,just like me she also hasn't heard from Lando. Every minute that goes by my mind creates a worst scenario, I sob as I put the last piece of clothes into my bag.

"Where is my car key!" I yell at myself , frustrated that I'm so far away!

My phone rings and I almost break my ankle trying to get to it in time. My heart race!

I panic when I see a strange number but I desperately answer , hoping it's Lando.

"Yan" his voice gravely and low.

He knows.

The line stays silent for a minute and then I hear him break down in tears, the cries come from so deep within, I feel his grieve and heartbreak even miles away.

I become sick to my stomach , hearing him weep over the phone. There isn't a word that would be enough to comfort him.

"I'm coming home now babe" I say.

I would give anything right now just to hug him.

It was just the other day his brother was hugging on him and now he has to accept that he'll never have those moments again, how do you prepare someone for this ?

How do you move on from this, is there every any chance of recovery?

"Finish your exam first" he begs me. I can't imagine getting through tomorrow with such heavy pain weighing on me.

I stay on the phone for as long as I can , just hearing him whimper. This is too much.

I have to drop everything and be there for him, he would do the same for me so without saying another word to him. I check out and get inside my car.

He needs me.

That's the only important thing right now.