Chapter 90 Another article by the head of the case, Li Qiao

Li Qiao didn't understand the situation in North Korea and China.

To be precise, he doesn't know anything.

Jiangzhi County and Mingzhifu didn't mention these things when they took his homework exams. Before today, these two adults must have never thought that the Holy Majesty would ask such a question.

However, the Holy Majesty asked such a question this time, probably because he wanted to build a canal, right?

If he doesn't want to practice, why bother to write a small composition and come up with such a question.

If he doesn't want to cultivate, can the minister force him to cultivate?

However, the topic this time is whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages or the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. The Holy Majesty asked scholars from all over the world to discuss this issue together. This should be because the Holy Majesty wants to practice but the ministers object, or the Holy Majesty himself is not very firm.

Building a canal is not a trivial matter, even the Holy Majesty did not dare to make a decision lightly.

...

So, His Majesty wanted to cultivate, but he wasn't very firm?

Li Qiao supported his head with one hand, lowered his eyes, stared at the questions on the test paper, and his head was a little empty.

The Holy Majesty really thinks highly of children in this world. Such a big matter should not be put on the provincial examination, general examination, and palace examination, but on this small courtyard examination.

interesting.

But how should he write today's article?

Here, for today's topic, he has only one answer: the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

He believes that the vast majority of candidates have this answer.

So, how does his article stand out?

Scholars in the entire Hexi Prefecture are waiting for his article, and he himself has studied hard for a year to wash off the label of opportunism, but who knows that the Holy Majesty will be connected to the 18th floor of hell this time.

well!

Mingzhifu sat at the top, seeing the expressions of the hundred candidates below, his eyes filled with worry.

This morning, he and Xuezheng dismantled the topic. After reading it, he was stunned for a while.

Although he is a small magistrate, he is quite well informed. Since the new year, the Holy Majesty has mentioned the matter of building the canal several times in the early court.

But the Holy Majesty did not express his own attitude, but let the ministers of the DPRK and China express their opinions.

The ministers of the DPRK and China are divided into two factions, each with its own reasons.

Right now, His Majesty has come up with such a problem. His Majesty probably wants to build a canal... He

must have wanted to, otherwise, such a problem would not have been asked.

Well, then when he approves papers, he must prefer to write articles that have more advantages than disadvantages.

It's just that the article this time is not easy to write. Even if he is holding such a topic at this time, he has to think carefully before writing.

What's more, these children who have never seen the world and never entered the officialdom.

Many of these children are peasants, with limited books and narrow horizons. To bring such a big topic up for these candidates to answer is purely...cough, it is purely because the sage is seeking good advice and is eager to seek talents. Tong Sheng's words are willing to give eyes.

These candidates have to thank the Holy One for making an exception and giving them the opportunity to participate in such state affairs even though they are little students.

Although he is the magistrate, but because he is not a Beijing official, he cannot go to court, so he has no way to express his political opinions on this matter.

It's just that the gift from the Holy Majesty was a little fierce, and this year's candidates were directly stunned.

The hundred examinees including Li Qiao all frowned. It had been 25 minutes since the topic was announced, but none of them had started to write, and they were all thinking about it.

He didn't care much about other candidates, he only sympathized... Ah no, it was envy, envy that other candidates had the opportunity to express their opinions.

But Li Qiao was very concerned about him.

He really wanted to put the honor of being the head of the desk in Li Qiao's arms, but he didn't know if Li Qiao could overwhelm the other candidates...

Li Qiao thought for half an hour before picking up the pen and writing down the outline of the article on the straw paper.

The big frame was a bit difficult to outline, he had scribbled and corrected it several times, and when it was time to fill in the details in the frame, the scrap paper could no longer fit.

He took a new scrap of paper, filled in the details, and then he started to write the draft.

Although he already had an outline and a detailed outline, he still stumbled while writing. At a glance, the entire paper was covered with ink blobs, and almost every line had traces of alteration.

The draft is half written, it's noon.

His brain was so hungry that he put down the brush and began to gnaw dry steamed buns.

He didn't ask for hot water, and after eating the dry steamed buns without taste, he picked up his pen and continued writing.

After finishing the draft, he took a long breath and looked at the sky, the sun had already set to the west.

He hurriedly copied it on the paper.

By the time he finished copying, it was already dark.

Because there were few candidates, the process in the morning was fast. It was estimated that it was only after seven o'clock when the government officials announced the questions.

It's getting dark now, and it's been almost nine hours.

From the corner of my eye, I looked at the other candidates. Everyone was writing hard, and no one handed in the paper.

Li Qiao breathed a sigh of relief.

It appears that he was the first to write it.

He checked it carefully again to make sure there were no omissions or typos, but he didn't get up to hand in the paper.

Today's question is already difficult, and the other candidates haven't finished writing it yet. If he handed in the paper at this time, it should break some people's minds.

Forget it, he'd better sit quietly and wait for others to hand in the papers before he hands them in.

Candles were not provided for the courtyard examination. It was the fourth month of the lunar calendar, and it was not too early to get dark, but no one handed in the paper until the hall was too dark to sit up straight and could not read the writing on the table.

Seeing this, Li Qiao stood up and handed in the paper.

It was dark now, and when they left the examination shed, not only Tao Zhu looked anxious, but also the relatives and friends of other examinees.

What is the situation, is the topic so difficult?

Tao Zhu was standing at the entrance of the examination shed, seeing Li Qiao coming out with the crowd, he quickly waved to Li Qiao.

Li Qiao saw Tao Zhu at a glance, and Li Qiao also waved his hands, and was about to walk towards Tao Zhu, but at this time the other candidates couldn't help but stop him.

"Brother Li Xian, please stop."

"Brother Li Xian, don't leave yet, can I tell you the content of the article?"

...

The other candidates are confused about this exam question, and there is nothing to worry about. Let's say it is simple. It looks really simple. Either choose the advantages over the disadvantages, or choose the disadvantages over the advantages, and then justify your own point of view.

But if it is really written like this, it will be too flat and stable, without any new ideas and characteristics. How can this be better than other candidates?

Many of the candidates in Hexi Prefecture accepted Li Qiao's theory: take half a step more than other candidates.

But for today's question, why did they take half a step more than other candidates?

They racked their brains to come up with an article. At this time, many people were really exhausted, so when they saw Li Qiao leaving the examination room with them, they couldn't help calling Li Qiao to hear Li Qiao's answer.

"Everyone, I'm also very troubled by today's article, and I'm not sure of it, so I'll wait until the list is released."

Li Qiao also had a bitter face, and sighed.

"Ah???"

"Brother Li Xian, are you not sure about everything?"

"How come! I think you finished writing it long ago!"

Seeing his appearance, the other candidates were a little surprised and a little bit disbelieving.

"Finishing the paper early doesn't mean anything. If I'm really confident, why don't I hand in the paper early."

Li Qiao continued to smile wryly.

Other candidates: "..."

Yes.

Previously, Li Qiao handed in the papers ahead of time, but this time he did not hand in the papers after finishing, which shows that he has no idea.

Li Qiao has no idea, so the chief case this time...

"Everyone, let me take my leave first. Tomorrow I will go out to purchase gifts for my relatives and friends. I won't entertain guests in the next few days."

Li Qiao didn't have time to respond to what other people thought. He signaled the examinees who stood in front of him to move away. Walk towards Tao Zhu.

Tao Zhu stood with Baiyou Li Dazhong and Shen Hua, Li Qiao greeted them and pulled Tao Zhu away.

Li Ershan, Li Xiahuang and his famous father and son quickly followed.

After returning home and closing the door, Li Qiao finally breathed a sigh of relief, this long day was finally over.

He only said "do your best", and Tao Zhu and the others stopped asking questions related to the exam. After dinner, he and Tao Zhu went back to the backyard to sleep.

He slept soundly this time, and when he woke up, the sky was already bright.

After a leisurely breakfast, the six of Li Qiao went shopping.

If you say you want to buy gifts today, you are really doing big shopping.

Ever since they came to Fucheng, the famous father and son of Li Xiahuang and Taozhu Li Ershan hadn't gone out to go shopping. These five people were all serving Li Qiao.

Now that the exam is over, Li Qiao wants to take them out to relax.

For meeting guests and socializing, in the future, his relatives and friends are more important.

Before coming to Fucheng, Zheng Qianqian gave birth to a fat boy, so Li Ershan and Li Xia followed this time.

As soon as the child was born, Li Qiao became a grandparent.

This fat baby has to be called Uncle Li Qiao.

Therefore, the first item Li Qiao bought this time was the longevity lock.

Tao Zhu felt that Zheng Qianqian had a hard time giving birth to a baby, so he bought another jewelry for Zheng Qianqian, this time a pair of gold bracelets.

Apart from Zheng Qianqian and Fat Baby, Li Chuntao will get married this year if there is no accident, so this wedding gift must be prepared.

Tao Zhu bought a set of silver noodles for Li Chuntao, three hundred taels.

It was really hard work for Li Ershan and Li Xia to accompany him to Fucheng. Li Ershan is sixteen years old, and there are many people who have promised him that he is close.

Li Xia is fifteen years old, and there is an endless stream of matchmakers visiting her door.

Li Qiao and Tao Zhu bought suitable gifts for them.

The rest of the people also had presents, it was rare to come to Fucheng once, and this year's income was good, so Li Qiao and Tao Zhu were very generous.

But as a celebrity, Li Qiao couldn't avoid socializing, and in the next few days, he received wave after wave of people.

But regarding the article this time, it was the same as the last government test, no matter how other people asked, he didn't answer a single word.

He only told Tao Zhu.

The topic this time was really too difficult, and he refused to talk about it life and death, so some candidates raised expectations in their hearts, guessing that his essay this time might be mediocre, thinking that he might not be able to hold the top spot this time.

Finally came the day of the announcement.

Li Qiao and Tao Zhu ate breakfast leisurely, then walked to the examination shed.

When they arrived, there were many people around the test tent.

Although there were only 100 candidates who participated in the re-examination, some candidates who were rejected in the main test did not leave Fucheng. These people wanted to see if Li Qiao could take the lead this time, and wanted to read Li Qiao's article.

Therefore, today's test shed is still crowded with people, very lively.

When Li Qiao arrived outside the examination shed, he was surrounded by everyone again. Although he knew that Li Qiao would still not reveal anything, even if Li Qiao was not the top case this time, he would definitely pass the exam.

It is always right to have a relationship with Li Quola.

Li Qiao was full of smiles, as the focus of the crowd, there was no arrogance on his face, he was always gentle and polite.

Soon, a yamen servant came over.

The process is the same as the county examination government's test release process. First, the gongs and drums are loud and firecrackers are fired. After the atmosphere is created, the yamen servants paint the wall with paste and prepare to post the yellow list.

Li Qiao was not as calm as last time, he, Meng Yue and Xu Ying squeezed into the crowd.

When he squeezed, some candidates' eyes lit up.

He was super calm in the last government test, standing in the corner when the results were announced.

But this time he moved, so his article this time is really not good?

It is really possible that the chief case this time does not belong to him?

Emma, ​​I just like to watch some face-slapping!

Before that, everyone was sure that he was the case leader of this year, and everyone thought that the title of "Xiao Sanyuan" would fall into his arms, but who knew that the holy pen would come up with such a difficult test question!

Who said the Holy One exalted him?

If you really flatter him, how could such an exam question be asked!

You will have to take a good look at his face later, losing the top case in the eyes of everyone, most people really don't have such experience, hee hee.

Just when these people were about to be unable to conceal their schadenfreude, the examinees standing at the front of the crowd saw the test papers on the tray, and exclamations burst out of their mouths.

"Huh? Li Qiao is the chief of the case!"

"This is Li Qiao's test paper, right? Over the years, only his articles have been posted in public." "

It must be his test paper, and the chief case this time is him !"

...

the examinee who was secretly quacking in his heart was stunned.

What?

Is Li Qiao still the case? !

They looked at the yellow list with wide eyes, and the yamen servant who was in charge of pasting the yellow list on the left happened to pat the upper left corner of the yellow list on the wall.

With the departure of his hand, the word Li Qiao in the first row appeared in everyone's sight.

"It's really Li Qiao!"

"It really is him!"

...

Li Qiao: "..."

He let out a long breath.

Fortunately, his article touched the hearts of the magistrate and Xuezheng lord.

After relaxing, he looked up to see the other names.

The head of the case is a separate column.

Next is the name of the first-class candidates. The candidates in this class are Lin students. There are many benefits to studying in the county.

Soon, he found the word Xu Ying, which was at the top of the first class.

Meng Yue is in the fifth place in the first class.

Not only were Xu Ying and Meng Yue selected as scholars, but they were also Lin students.

Li Qiao couldn't help laughing, and turned to congratulate the two people beside her.

But at this moment, the candidates standing at the front let out another huge exclamation.

"Look, Li Qiao's article has been posted!"

Accompanied by this exclamation, many people rushed towards his paper, wanting to see how his article was written.

Meng Yue and Xu Ying were also very curious. They just savored the joy of being a scholar in the exam, and then followed the crowd to the paper.

Li Qiao: "..."

He touched his nose and pushed his way out of the crowd.

For this article, he really has no idea. The set of theories he summed up before is not suitable for this topic.

The topic this time may seem small, but it is actually very big, and there are many aspects that can be written.

He wanted to stand out among a hundred candidates, so he had to find an angle that no one else could think of.

Therefore, he stated his attitude at the beginning of the article. He believed that the advantages of building the canal outweighed the disadvantages.

However, the disadvantages cannot be ignored.

The answer he chose was that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but 90% of his entire article is about the disadvantages of building the canal.

The biggest disadvantage of building the canal is that it wastes money and people.

Although the Holy Majesty wanted to cultivate, he couldn't make up his mind. Why?

Because the sage was afraid of wasting wealth and arousing public indignation.

Therefore, in response to this drawback, he proposed some measures.

Building a canal is not a matter of one day, and there is no rush. Therefore, you can save money first, save a sum of money to build a section, and save a sum of money to build a section.

As for how the imperial court saves money, the money spent on building the canal is astronomical, which cannot be solved by a food business.

Of course, vermicelli may be fine, but part of the profit of vermicelli goes to the farmer, part to the businessman, and part to him.

Even if he was willing to donate his share, it would not be enough to support the construction of the canal.

But for a while, he couldn't think of a second business that could be as profitable as vermicelli, so he thought of another way.

After the canal is built, water transportation will be very developed, and many piers and even towns will rise along the way.

This is an enormous opportunity.

Therefore, he thinks that these piers or towns can be planned first, and then let people bid.

Whichever businessman pays more money, then after the canal is repaired, you can choose a wharf to buy land and build a house or do other things.

This part of Li Qiao's writing is very rough. After all, he is just a 21-year-old farmer who has never left Hexi Mansion.

If this kind of prescription is used to raise money, then maybe it won't be a waste of money.

If it doesn't waste money and people, then the biggest disadvantage of building the canal will be gone.

However, after the canal is repaired, there will be some disadvantages.

The canal must run through the north and the south. After the canal is completed, it must not only transport food, which will cause a waste of resources.

Moreover, some people will definitely engage in smuggling and carry private goods on the grain transport ship.

This is very dangerous. If the weight of the ship exceeds the standard, it may sink the ship.

Therefore, he felt that the imperial court could issue some laws and regulations to allow merchants to transport goods through the canal in an open and honest manner, and the imperial court would collect corresponding commercial taxes.

Once such a canal running from north to south allows merchants to transport goods, it will inevitably bring huge economic benefits, and countless people will live by water transport.

When it comes to money and survival, there are many related disadvantages.

The high officials at the upper level are corrupt and pervert the law, the middle levels set up checkpoints to take advantage of it, and the boatmen at the lower level will definitely organize to fight against the officials for their own benefit. Once they form cliques, the problem will be serious.

Moreover, some people who have been exploited too hard may rise up.

In short, if it is not managed well, it will be the people at the bottom who will suffer.

The people at the bottom are desperate, they either die in silence or find a way out. In addition, there are a series of troublesome things in the construction of the canal. For example ,

the river channel is silted up for various reasons.

The disadvantages of the Grand Canal, the disadvantages before the construction and the disadvantages after the construction are all mentioned, and the generalization is very comprehensive.

At the end of the article, he wrote about the advantages of building the Grand Canal. Although there are many disadvantages, there are also many advantages. Therefore, he feels that the advantages of building the Grand Canal outweigh the disadvantages.

Li Qiao refused to disclose the content of the article to others before, because he felt that his article might be wrong.

What he advocated was that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but he ended up writing about the disadvantages throughout the article. He was worried that this article would not scratch the itch of the magistrate and Xuezheng, so he would not get the case.

Since you can't get the case, then don't let others know about this article.

But unexpectedly, Mingzhifu and Xuezheng lord still chose him as the leader of the case.

I don't know if these two adults really like his article, or they are looking at the Holy Majesty's face...

Tao Zhu has heard the exclamation of everyone, and he is relieved to confirm that Li Qiao is indeed the case. .

Seeing Li Qiao squeezed out from the crowd, he hurried towards Li Qiao.

When he came to Li Qiao, seeing Li Qiao's expression was calm, and there was no joy on his face, he said, "I think your writing is very good, and your case is well deserved."

Li Qiao laughed when he heard this: " You are the top case in the eyes of the husband."

"No, even if I am not your husband, I still think your writing is good. You are doing it for Dasheng, for the good of the common people." Tao Zhu shook his head lightly.

This person's article focuses on the disadvantages, not because if the canal is really repaired, then this article is equivalent to reminding the Holy One.

Although the person speaks lightly, this person still wrote it like this.

This person is hoping that the benefits of the canal far outweigh the disadvantages, and that the people will not suffer.

With this heart alone, he felt that this article deserved to be number one.

Li Qiao: "..."

He was stunned for a moment, and then he couldn't help grabbing Tao Zhu's hand: "Brother Zhu understands me."

Tao Zhu smiled: "So don't be guilty, you are worthy of this case."

"En." Li Qiao nodded.

He has a clear conscience.

When sitting in the examination room, countless thoughts flashed through his mind, but he finally chose to write like this.

He wanted to write that.

As for how other candidates see him, his brain grows in other people's heads, and his mouth grows in other people's heads, he doesn't care.

As long as he doesn't curse him and Tao Zhu in the street like those two outsiders, then he won't answer.

At this time, Li Ershan, Li Xia, Huang Youming and his son, Baiyou Li Dazhong, and Shen Hua all came to Li Qiao, and they congratulated Li Qiao one after another.

It's the case again!

Li Qiao won the triple prize, this honor really fell to Li Qiao.

The Xu family rushed to the crowd and were overjoyed. Xu Ying also passed the examination of scholar!

But Xu Ying couldn't care about his family right now, he and Meng Yue stood in front of Li Qiao's paper, read it three times in a row, and savored it carefully for a while, before squeezing out from the crowd.

Xu Ying was stopped by her family, so Meng Yue walked towards Li Qiao alone.

Meng Yue's face was full of admiration: "Brother Li, whether it's the way of saving money, or the kindness of the court and the people, I admire it all. Absolutely, this article of yours can be used as a model essay again."

" Don't dare to take it." Li Qiao is very modest: "It's also a coincidence." "

What's so good about this? As far as what you wrote, I didn't know that the canal could have so many disadvantages until I read your article. . "

Meng Yue thought of the disadvantages of wasting money and wasting money, and it was not easy to maintain, so he re-wrote these two items.

All his knowledge of the canal came from books, but his family often dug the canal when they were in corvée.

So he analyzed the shortcomings of the canal from his own point of view. What he worried most was that the court had no money and would squeeze the people. He was afraid that the court would raise taxes, and he was afraid that his family would be affected.

But the construction of the canal is a good thing with merits in the present and benefits in the future, so what he advocates is that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Being able to rank first and become a lin student this time, Meng Yue felt that it was not because he wrote too well, but because others wrote too badly.

He didn't talk in general terms, he started from his personal destiny, and the whole article was full of sincere feelings, without artifice.

Li Qiao's articles are also full of sincere feelings, without technique.

But Li Qiao's feelings are not for Li Qiao's small family, Li Qiao's feelings are for the bottom-level people in Dasheng as a whole.

Li Qiao is now rich, but Li Qiao's eyes are not separated from the people at the bottom, only because of this, he is convinced of Li Qiao.

He wanted to say something to the Mingzhifu and the Xuezheng, you are wise!

"I also thought about it along the way. The vermicelli caused a lot of troubles in Yongxing County, and so many incidents were caused by a small vermicelli, let alone the canal."

Li Qiao moved out the excuse he had thought up long ago.

There is no Grand Canal in Dasheng, so the various disadvantages of the Grand Canal mentioned in his article are all his imagination in the eyes of others.

He is a farmer, why can he imagine it? And the description of having a nose and eyes seems to have already happened?

For this question, the answer is simple, he has vermicelli.

After knowing that the government had dealt with the county magistrate and magistrate of Yongxing County, it posted notices in the five counties of Hexi Prefecture to make an example of them.

Years later, the Holy Majesty's treatment of Sunzhi County also came down. Sun Zhixian was demoted to the Xuezheng of the county school of Yongxing County. A scholar, but in fact it is equivalent to a counselor in the university, doing odd jobs.

Sun Zhixian changed from a seventh-rank magistrate to a ninth-rank sesame official all of a sudden. This gap is really satisfying.

Mingzhifu spread the news widely in the five counties, so that the people and officials of the five counties would know the price of dereliction of duty.

Therefore, although Li Qiao is a farmer, he has also seen some dark sides.

It is not unexpected that he wrote such an article.

At this time, Xu Ying came over. He had the same opinion as Meng Yue, and he had nothing but admiration for Li Qiao.

Many of the other candidates who had finished reading the article also came over, congratulating Li Qiao and expressing their admiration.

They are not fools, Li Qiao's article is full of concern for the people, with this kind of intention, knowing that the prefect and the Xuezheng lord will point him to the top of the case, then no one can make a mistake.

What's more, he also wrote about many disadvantages after the construction of the Grand Canal, which many candidates did not think of. With this insight, Li Qiao can also win the case this time.

The few people who were chattering in their hearts just now were either silent, or cast envious and jealous glances at Li Qiao.

Comparing people to people is really annoying. I originally thought that Li Qiao might lose face this time, but in the end his article will become a model essay again!

Then why did you pretend to be worried before?

Pooh!

White lotus!

But after scolding, their hearts were soon filled with jealousy again, and even though they won three yuan, although it was a small three yuan, it also indicated that Li Qiao, who was bound to take off, really started to take off.

well!