Chapter 196-200

Chapter 196 Shantang Hexi Mansion Road Construction

Set up a charitable hall?

Sheng Honglue hesitated: "Do you want to set up a special charity hall?"

If there is a new department, then there must be new employees, and he has to pay wages.

"It's such a large amount of property, I think it should be managed by a special person." "

Besides, this charitable hall can exist for a long time. Anyone who wants to donate money, materials, food, and blessings on weekdays can donate. If the poor people really When encountering hurdles that cannot be overcome, such as when a family member is seriously ill and needs to sell the land and children, Shantang can lend a helping hand."

Li Qiao can't say that the weather will be cold next year, so he can only persuade Sheng Hong from this perspective.

Sheng Hong was a little surprised: "Are you going to give the poor people a stable support?"

How expensive is this!

There are still many poor people in this world.

And regardless of whether it is the rich or ordinary people praying for blessings, they are usually donated to temples for gods to bless them, and donated to philanthropic halls?

That's very little.

"It's not that the humble minister wants to give, but the court wants to give the poor people a stable support. The humble minister can donate 500 taels of silver and 500 catties of grain to the Shantang every month to help the poor people tide over the difficulties." "

Shantang You can hire those poor people from poor families, and the wages of these guys are paid by donations from everyone." "This philanthropic

hall is equivalent to the imperial court building a channel for the rich to help the poor, and the imperial court does not need it." Whatever it costs, you can send a few stewards there."

Li Qiao said again.

"Donate five hundred taels a month?"

Sheng Hong raised his eyebrows: "Great hand, worthy of Li Wanwan. All right, since you are willing to donate money every month, then let's set up this charitable hall." If you don't ask him for wages, then set up whatever you want

.

Anyway, it is to solve the difficulties for the people.

He likes to use his own money to appease the courtiers of the people.

But Li Qiao saw that Sheng Hong agreed, so he talked about the Shantang in detail, and by the way, he asked Tao Zhu for an errand.

This time it's not the recruiting manager, it's the deputy manager of the Shantang.

After solving the case of Shantang, Li Qiao didn't say anything else. It's just cold weather. If he talked about something, it would only be considered by Sheng Hong as a crow's mouth worrying about nothing.

We have to take it step by step.

Soon it was time to get off work, Tao Zhu still came to pick him up, got into the carriage, Li Qiao couldn't wait to share the good news with Tao Zhu.

"The location of this philanthropic hall is provided by the holy majesty, and it is also in the name of the imperial court. The holy majesty will send a manager over here. You are the deputy manager. You are responsible for recruiting people and managing the distribution of money and materials." "You can experience it first

. , if you don't like it, then don't go, the Holy One will send another deputy manager there."

After Li Qiao uttered the first word, Tao Zhu's eyes sparkled, and when Li Qiao finished speaking, , He immediately said: "I definitely like it, and I will never give up halfway."

He has long wanted to do this kind of thing, how could he not like it, he likes it so much.

"Don't force it, anyway, the Holy Majesty has agreed, you don't have to go if you don't want to." Li Qiao grabbed his hand to emphasize the most important point.

Tao Zhu's feelings are the most important, if you don't like it, then don't go.

"Okay, okay, if I really don't get used to it, then I will definitely tell you."

Tao Zhu leaned over and kissed him on the lips: "After returning home, I will take away the old clothes and bedding that I don't need at home. Pack it up, and send it over immediately after the good hall is built."

"Brother Zhu is so kind."

Li Qiao also smiled and leaned over to kiss Tao Zhu.

"You are more kind."

Tao Zhu originally held Li Qiao's arm, but after saying this, he hugged Li Qiao's waist directly, and leaned his cheek on Li Qiao's shoulder.

This man is the kindest.

It is also the most generous.

Not only led the people in the whole county to become rich, but also built roads for the whole county.

Two days ago, the Han family caravan returned to Beijing and brought back the latest situation in Pingcheng.

When Zhuang Fengshou and Zheng Tuhu returned to Pingcheng this spring, they first went to the magistrate of Pingcheng at that time, and told the magistrate about Li Qiao's plan to build roads in Pingcheng.

Li Qiao paid for this matter, Sheng Hong agreed, and the county magistrate of Pingcheng naturally strongly supported it.

The magistrate of Pingcheng quickly called the village chiefs of the whole county to announce the matter.

After this news was announced, the people in Pingcheng were very happy. Mr. Li is in Shengjing, but he cares about his hometown. Mr. Li is a good official!

Merchants and petty officials in Pingcheng approached Zhuang Fengshou while being happy, expressing their desire to do their part for the road conditions in Pingcheng.

This road is not only taken by the Li family, but also by the people of Pingcheng. They are also walking. They made a fortune in Pingcheng, and they want to give back to Pingcheng.

Especially shopkeeper Wang, after approaching Zhuang Fengshou, he repeatedly begged Zhuang Fengshou to accept his silver taels, otherwise he would feel uneasy.

Among the merchants in Pingcheng, he is the one who enjoys the most privileges from Lord Li, and the people in Pingcheng. If he doesn't donate money, then he has no conscience, and he is a wolf.

Shopkeeper Wang's words were sincere, and there were still tears. Zhuang Fengshou thought about the actual situation and accepted the fifty thousand taels of silver donated by shopkeeper Wang.

Shopkeeper Wang's Wangyuelou business is still booming. In the past few years, shopkeeper Wang has earned a lot of money, so the price is 50,000 taels.

Shopkeeper Wang made a successful donation, and other merchants and officials followed suit.

In terms of honor, everyone is honored by Master Li. If the village head Zhuang refuses to accept their money, then they really have no face to face the elders in their hometown.

For example, every year the shopkeeper Wang distributes the right cards. How many people get rich by selling the right cards to big businessmen from other places. Now they need to build roads. If they don't donate some money, they will feel really sorry.

There is also the shopkeeper Zhao of Zuixianju, who offended Li Qiao because of the roast sausage and the youth group, and now wants to make amends.

Moreover, because there are many people in Pingcheng, the business of Zuixianju has been going well in recent years.

Shopkeeper Zhao can be regarded as being honored by Mr. Li, and he especially wanted to do his best.

Zhuang Fengshou thought about the actual situation and accepted the money donated by these people.

Isn't that right, how many people have become rich by relying on a vermicelli.

This is true for merchants and petty officials, and it is also true for Sanliu Village.

As the root of Mr. Li, he must set an example for the whole county, and he must not hinder Mr. Li.

Now that Mr. Li wants to build roads, Sanliu Village needs not only people, but also money.

This bank must harvest a good harvest, otherwise Master Li wants to draw a clear line with the whole village.

Zhuang Fengshou took it for granted that everyone could stand by and watch the road construction this time, except for Sanliu Village.

Sanliu Village must do its best to support this road construction!

But Master Li is definitely not willing to let the big guys pay more, so each family donates twenty taels of silver.

Seeing this, Zhujia Village next to him hurriedly followed.

Zhujiacun has always advanced and retreated with Sanliu Village, and Zhujiacun has to donate money too!

Surrounding villages like Dahe Village and Xiaogang Village also donated money when they saw this. They were familiar with this matter. Many people donated money when building adobe brick roads before. At that time, Li Qiao was not an official yet.

Now that Li Qiao is already a third-rank official of the emperor's close minister, then this money has to be donated even more.

People in the surrounding villages wanted to donate, and soon, the people in Pingcheng also wanted to donate.

Don't fall behind, the big guys have indeed become rich these years, and this is to help Master Li.

Zhuang Fengshou shook his head and refused.

He only accepts donations from the people of Sanli Town, and he doesn't accept donations from other towns, lest some people don't want to donate and are forced to donate, thus causing resentment towards Li Qiao.

I really want to do something for the road construction. After the construction starts, I will go to help with the road construction.

By the way, I brought my own plant ash, which is needed to make plaster. Now Mr. Li pays for the road construction in Pingcheng, so we can't let Mr. Li pay for the plant ash.

Merchants from other places heard about this and wanted to donate money one after another, so that they could catch up with Li Qiao.

Li Qiao's temperament, these businessmen all know that it is not easy to go sideways in front of Li Qiao, but if they are bullied when doing business in a serious manner, it will definitely be easy to find Li Qiao.

Therefore, they wanted to rely on donating money to increase their sense of existence, so as not to encounter injustice in the future, and they were not even qualified to see Li Qiao.

Zhuang Fengshou didn't collect the money from these people. With local donations and Li Qiao's money, it was enough to build roads in the entire county.

Zhuang Fengshou took the money, and with the strong support of the magistrate of Pingcheng, the mortar road was built soon.

Although the adobe brick road is good, it is easy to damage, especially when vermicelli is often transported on this road.

The damaged place was quickly repaired, but total repair is not the answer. Now that there is plaster, the first road Zhuang Fengshou repaired was the adobe brick road.

He put a layer of plaster on the adobe brick path.

The plaster dries quickly, and it only takes three days for the road to be closed for traffic.

Many people pass by this road every day, and after passing through, people come to watch it. This is a new plaster invented by Mr. Li, and the entire Shengjing is using this plaster to build roads.

After everyone observed it on the spot, they admired Li Qiao even more. As expected of Mr. Li's invention, it is flatness!

It is solid!

Just go!

This stucco road is the best advertisement, and the enthusiasm of the people in the county to build roads has suddenly increased, and foreign merchants are very envious. It is so convenient!

Mingzhi Mansion immediately gave Sheng Hong a note, saying that he wanted to arrange mortar roads for the remaining four counties of Hexi Mansion.

Mingzhi Mansion now wanders around the five counties several times a year to ensure the stability of the vermicelli business. In order to facilitate the transportation of vermicelli and his travel, the remaining four counties of Hexi Prefecture must build stucco roads.

When Mingzhifu built the adobe brick road in Pingcheng, Fucheng, he forced the rich people in Fucheng to donate a lot of money. This time, he planned to follow the example of last time and solicit donations from the rich people in the remaining four counties.

Rich people should give more money!

Sheng Hong greatly appreciated the behavior of Mingzhifu.

Sheng Hong likes this kind of officials who save money for the treasury.

Sheng Hong waved his hand, yes.

Therefore, when the Han family caravan returned to Beijing with the first batch of vermicelli this year, a quarter of the plaster road in Pingcheng had been repaired, and the plaster road in Fucheng had just begun.

At this rate, by this time next year, the five counties of Hexi Prefecture will definitely be covered with mud roads.

This is something Tao Zhu didn't expect.

Unexpectedly, Li Qiao donated another 80,000 taels of silver to the remaining four counties, each with 20,000 taels of silver.

In terms of kindness, there is no one in this world who is kinder than this person.

Tao Zhu's thoughts drifted too far, Li Qiao didn't know it, and he smiled and hugged Tao Zhu tightly: "The kind-hearted us are a natural match, we should get married. After returning home, I will clean up with you. Old cotton clothes and bedding."

"Okay."

Tao Zhu responded with a smile.

When the husband and wife returned home, it was already getting dark. Today is cloudy and the temperature is around zero.

It gets dark early, so dinner is early.

Li Dashan, Li Ershan, Zhao Shen, Li Shu and others go to the shop every day, and don't eat with the big guys.

For the past two days, Li Liang Wang Osmanthus fragrans was busy with the autumn harvest, and the couple temporarily lived in Zhuangzi, not at home.

Therefore, Li Qiao Taozhu usually eats dinner with a group of juniors.

At the dinner table, Li Qiao announced that the imperial court was going to set up a charitable hall, and called on everyone to donate the clothes they didn't need.

"I keep all of Xiaorui's old clothes. Originally, I planned to wear them for Er Bao, but since Uncle Zhu has become the deputy director of the Shantang, my family must support me strongly. I will donate all of Xiaorui's old clothes. Get out."

Zheng Qianqian responded immediately.

"It's okay, just donate the clothes you don't need, don't donate if you need it, Shengjing is not just our family."

Li Qiao said.

His family is all from the countryside. Although they are rich now, frugality is engraved in everyone's bones.

The clothes Li Xiaorui wore since childhood were all silk and satin, Zheng Qianqian was reluctant to throw them away, and planned to wear them for Li Erbao, which is normal.

But other rich and noble families would never treat their little sons and young masters like this.

In a big family, even maids and servants have to make two new sets of clothes every season, let alone girls and sons.

As far as Xin knows, this young master has eighteen sets of new clothes every season. This is because his family is relatively frugal and does not like extravagance. Thirty or forty sets of new clothes.

When the imperial court raided Lu's and Peng's houses, the clothes found piled up into a mountain. Sheng Hong sold all that could be sold, and the rest was put into the state treasury.

Today Sheng Hong also said that he would open a storeroom, go through the clothes, find out the winter clothes and take them to the shantang.

"That's right, Brother Qian, you can keep it for Erbao. We donate five hundred taels of silver and five hundred catties of grain every month, which is enough,"

Tao Zhu also said.

"Is it really not necessary?" Zheng Qianqian opened her eyes wide, a little hesitant.

"No need. Kindness, kindness, kindness, the word kindness is all based on the heart, and it cannot be forced. If you force it, it will change the taste."

Li Qiao didn't like to take money from other people's pockets to force donations, but the weather was severe and cold. , Natural disasters continue, in this case, he alone and the still somewhat empty treasury cannot carry it through.

It is necessary to set up a philanthropic hall, so that the whole Dasheng can tide over the difficulties together.

But even so, he still advocates no coercion, everything is done freely and voluntarily.

Forced donations will arouse resentment, and a good thing cannot be turned into a bad thing.

After hearing Li Qiao's explanation, Zheng Qianqian no longer hesitated: "Then I'll donate the clothes I'm tired of wearing." "

I have a lot of old clothes, so I'll donate them all."

Li Yu'an swallowed. Fantuan said.

He is growing up every year, and the old clothes can no longer be worn, so it is better to donate them.

"I brought a lot of old clothes with me when I came to Shengjing this time, but when I arrived in Shengjing, Uncle Zhu prepared a lot for me. Now I can't run out of new clothes, so I donate the old clothes." Li Yuning also

agreed road.

And Li Xiaolan, Li Xia, and even the young Li Xiaorui spoke loudly, asking Zheng Qianqian to donate the clothes he didn't like.

So after the meal, the whole family began to pack up old clothes and bedding.

Tao Zhu cleaned up a lot, he and Li Qiao had quite a lot of clothes, they like to play with make-up and change clothes in private, they have saved a lot of old clothes over the years.

There are also two cubs, and as they grow up year by year, they can't fit in old clothes.

These should be donated, children in poor families need these clothes.

The next day, Sheng Hong announced the establishment of a charity hall by the court.

He emphasized two points, one is voluntary.

Although he really wanted to call on the wealthy people in Shengjing to lend a helping hand, Li Qiao said that the situation this year was unknown, and it would not be too late to call on the poor people after the weather was too cold.

So he only emphasized voluntary, everyone can donate if they want to donate, donate if they don't want to donate, he will not have any opinion on Baiguan because of this matter.

Second, if you donate, then don't question the whereabouts of the money, materials, and food.

Of course, the expenditure of the shantang will be announced every month so that the public can know.

But after the shantang announces the expenses, the donators can't question anything, they must trust the shantang completely, and they are not allowed to say some nonsense that the shantang keeps privately.

This second overbearing clause is Li Qiaojia's.

Tao Zhu, as the vice-manager of the shantang, was afraid that someone who donated some money would blindly make things difficult for Tao Zhu, so he set up such a rule.

Donate or not.

But once donated, act according to his rules.

The Shantang incident did not cause much disturbance in the court, and many officials automatically ignored it.

Sheng Hong emphasized that he was voluntary, and there was also the speechless clause, whoever wants to donate should donate, anyway, they don't want to donate money and they can't find out where the money is going.

They can't stand it.

But there were also positive responses.

The Seventh Prince, Xu Ying, Zhuang Wen, Meng Yue, Xin Zhi, the Sixth Prince, the Fourth Prince, several senior scholars, and some small officials who have a good relationship with Li Qiao or want to curry favor with Li Qiao, after making preparations in the Shantang , quietly ordered people to send the things they donated.

Some donated money.

There are also those who donate clothes, food and herbs.

There are also donations of other items, such as beds, dishes, iron pots and the like.

All these things were available, so Tao Zhu and the chief manager of Shantang accepted them all.

Like last time, Li Qiao specially took three days off, so that he could accompany Tao Zhu to familiarize himself with the business and rules of Shantang.

The chief manager of the Shantang was a seventh-rank official in the restaurant and bank department, who was transferred by Sheng Hong. This small official was surnamed Sun, and he was very respectful to Li Qiao and Tao Zhu.

Li Qiao, Tao Zhu, and Master Sun took more than 20 new recruits from the charity hall to count for three days but failed to count the first batch of donations and materials. Three days later, Li Qiao went to work, Tao Zhu and others continued inventory.

After another five days of busy work, the counting was completed.

After counting, Tao Zhu and Master Sun announced this batch of donations and materials, and posted the specific list at the entrance of the Shantang and the entrances of several shops in Li's house.

Only then did the general public know that there was a new charity hall in Shengjing.

In the eyes of ordinary people, the matter of donations means that the country gentry will return the money in full, and the common people will share the accounts. Whoever donates will be an idiot.

But, is Tao Zhu the deputy manager of this shantang? Li Qiao's reputation is still quite good, now Tao Zhu is in charge of the expenditure of money and materials in the Shantang, and Li Qiao regularly donates money and food to it

every month.

Brushing his face in front of Tao Zhu, that alone is worth it.

This lord Li Qiao is too hard to please and curry favor, if you want to send gifts to Li Mansion during festivals, no matter it is cheap or expensive, Li Mansion will not accept any of them.

Since Li's Mansion doesn't accept it, we can just give it to the Shantang. Anyway, the purpose is the same: to show

his presence in front of Master Li, and if something happens to him in the future, there is a way to ask for help.

donate!

As a result, Shantang ushered in a second wave of donations.

This time, most of the shots were merchants.

Merchants have money, and the money and materials donated immediately filled the warehouse of Shantang.

And it was already winter at this time, at the end of October in the lunar calendar, the weather was very cold, and a heavy snow fell, and the materials of the Shantang came in handy immediately.