Tyunning- Arrested Development

"How much longer do we have to keep him?"

Beomgyu looked at his watch. "12 more hours."

Kai was frustrated. He knew Taehyun Kang did it but he couldn't prove it. The guy wasn't talking. He refused to get a lawyer too. Guess he didn't need it if he wasn't going to talk.

There was a murder of one of the most influential people in the city. Soobin Choi, up and coming politician was found dead in his car. One bullet hole, straight through the windshield, directly between his eyes. Taehyun was seen in the area but so was a lot of other people. He had a gun that matched the weapon used to kill the politician but they couldn't confiscate it because it was a standard pistol in the army. Lucky for him, he was hanging out with his army buddies who also had the same gun.

Kai knew it was him because he was only one with the motive. Soobin dated his sister. Rumor was, it was a nasty break up. Nothing could be confirmed about the break up but his sister lost her job shortly after then turned to drugs.

Everything the police had on him was circumstancial. They could question him but couldn't arrest him and time was running out.

Kai stared at him from behind the glass. Taehyun couldn't see him but somehow was looking directly into his eyes. "We get a warrant on the gun?"

Beomgyu looked at his messages. "Judge wouldn't sign the warrant. She said if she signed that one, she would need a warrant for all of the soldiers hanging out with him that night. We don't have enough evidence. We're screwed."

"Set up a sting for the sister. Maybe he will talk if we can arrest her for illegally purchasing prescription drugs."

"Got it."

Kai hadn't actually talked to him yet. If this sister thing didn't pan out, he was going to. He left the interrogation room to sit at his desk. There had to be something in the evidence to tie him to the murder.

An hour later, he found nothing. He looked up to see Taehyun being escorted in handcuffs. They locked eyes for a moment. The guy smirked at him before enterring the bathroom. 5 minutes later, Taehyun exited the bathroom. They locked eyes again as he was led back to the interrogation room.

Frustrated, Kai left towards the lab. He wanted to check the progress on the bullet. Apparently it was shattered into 40 different pieces, most of which were burried into Soobin's skull. They were able to recover some fragments in the car from shattering the windshield. The blonde asked "what's the progress?"

"Whoever shot him did it far away. They knew what they were doing too. We couldn't find a casing anywhere. The bullet was designed to split to ensure maximum damage. We're doing our best but it won't be in the time frame you need."

"No excuses. We can't have this guy walking!"

"We'll try sir."

Kai walked back up. He stared at the silver hair a little more. Once again, he found himself locking eyes with him. It was almost like he knew he was there.

Taehyun spoke "Kai right? Officer Kai Huening?"

The blonde whispered "he shouldn't be able to see me. How did he know I was here?" The officer next to him shrugged. Neither had a logical explanation. Kai opted to not speak. Clearly that's what the silver hair wanted and he wasn't going to give him that.

Taehyun spoke again. "I know you're there. I'll only talk to you."

Kai left the room. He went back to his desk to comb over the evidence.

8 hours left. Beomgyu called him to let him know the sting was a success. They were bringing in the sister now.

That was the best news he had heard all day. He went back into the observation side to watch Beomgyu interrogate him. "We arrested your sister. She's going to jail for a long time. Perhaps we can cut a deal if you're willing to help us out."

Taehyun stared behind the cop to look at Kai again. "She made her choice."

Beomgyu snapped "hey! There's no one there. You're talking to me and me only. I get it. You killed Soobin because he ruined your sister's life. What did he do? Tell her she wasn't good enough for him? I bet he sabotaged her job because she found something dirty about him. Is that it?"

Taehyun didn't react. He didn't even blink. He just kept staring at the blonde who he could somehow see.

Beomgyu kept going. "Or maybe he was sick of her because she was a whore. She's had relationship troubles in the past. I see she had two abortions before. Maybe Soobin got her pregnant and told her to ditch the baby. Is that it?"

Kai watched Taehyun's left eye twitch. Beomgyu noticed it too. He kept pressing. Every sentence out of his mouth was an insult to the Kangs and their only daughter. Boldly, he brought her in for a moment so Taehyun could see they were serious about sending her away for life. When she was sent back out, the cop joked "rikers isn't a bad place to wait for a trial. Male and females are mixed together. Wonder what happens to the pretty ones?"

Taehyun balled his fists under the desk for a moment before he relaxed again. To make Beomgyu shut up, he spoke directly to Kai. "I know you're still there. Come in here. I'll talk."

Beomgyu insisted there wasn't anyone back there but Taehyun only smiled towards the glass.

Time was running down. Beomgyu questioned him for another 4 hours but nothing else major happened. He got a few small reactions but nothing to go off of.

Kai debated on going in although he figured it would be a mistake if he did. Instead, he went back down to the lab. "Please tell me you made progress with that bullet!"

The scientist explained "we scanned as many pieces as we could. The A.I is trying to connect the picture right now. It's difficult. Some of the shapes it's making aren't even bullets."

"How so?"

"It keeps wanting to make a copper pipe."

"Copper pipe? Look for all purchases of copper pipes in his credit card history. Look for him enterring hardware stores near the shooting and near his base. Look for broken pipes in those areas as well. Document any reports of missing ones! He probably made his own bullet."

Kai left to go back upstairs. He told his team the same information. Everyone began working on it while Beomgyu continued to question him. The blonde sat at his desk, hoping this new trail would lead somewhere.

On a complete whim, he left to the army base. His badge got him in. He drove to the airplane hangars in hopes some mechanics were still there. Two were. Kai showed him his badge then calmly said he was there to ask a few questions. "Have you noticed any copper missing recently? Or have seen his man around?" He held up a photo of Taehyun.

One of them nodded. "Yeah actually. He came in and asked if we had any scrap metal. Said it was for an art piece he was making. We told him he could take whatever he wanted. It was garbage."

"Do you remember what he took?"

"Copper for sure. Maybe some steel plating."

The other guy said "now that you mention it, a few days ago my tools were in a different spot than where I usually leave them. I just figured I rushed out or something."

That was all he needed for an arrest warrant. Kai thanked them then left. He called the judge on the way and explained his new evidence. When he got to her office, he played the recording. She signed the warrant. Time was running out.

Kai stormed into the precinct with the arrest warrant in his hand. A different officer took Beomgyu out of the room. He showed him the signed warrant.

Beomgyu walked back in with a grin on his face. "Taehyun Kang. You are arrested for the murder of Soobin Choi. You have right to remain silent. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be provided for you. You have-"

Taehyun was walked out of the room with his hands cuffed behind his back. Before he was yanked away, he smiled menacingly at the blonde. "I know what you did when you were 17. They'll figure it out. You know where I'll be when they do."

Beomgyu pulled him away and told him to knock it off. They celebrated their win at the bar after work. After Kai got home, all he could think about was how the hell Taehyun knew the Capitol Bank bombing was him.