😭Sookai- The Silver Door

Soobin held a silver key in his hand. His grandpa gave it to him on his 18th birthday. It came on a flimsy loop of twine and was wrapped in a set of instructions.

"Soobin. If you're reading this, I'm dead. Don't use this key until you're at your lowest point in life. It unlocks a door that'll give you the temporary escape you need. Do NOT let anything from inside the door to come through besides yourself!

Steps to open the door.

Go to the cabin we used to play at when you were a child.

Go to the backyard.

Walk towards the largest pine tree in the forest.

The key will start to shake. Do NOT let go!

Keep walking until you see the silver door.

Open the door to find your escape.

Once again, do NOT let anything come through the door besides yourself! Disasterous things will happen if you do!

From, Grandpa."

Well this was a pretty low point in Soobin's life. His grandpa was the last family member he had left. None of them left him any money. He was 18 with no prospects. What did he have to lose?

Grandpa did go a little insane before the alzheimers claimed his life. The random key could've opened an empty chest for all he knew.

Soobin decided to go to the forest anyways. He took the old pale yellow, chevrolet convertible to the cabin. It hadn't been tended to in years. The inside was probably filled with cobwebs and maybe a family of bats. He walked around the outside towards the back. There it was. The large pine tree that seemed to tower over all the others. As a child, he saw it as the biggest thing in the world. That still rung true as a now adult.

The key begun to weakly vibrate in his hands. Soobin kept his grip on it as he reread the letter. He muttered "a silver door?" There wasn't one so far. He walked further into the forest towards the large tree. The silver key started to vibrate more violently. His grip moved from the key to the piece of twine it was attached to. He looked at the letter then looked up. In front of him was a large, slim, silver door. Grandpa wasn't crazy afterall.

Soobin circled the door. It wasn't attached to anything. That definitely wasn't there when he was a child. "Open the door to find your escape." The key in his hand almost leaped into the lock above the handle. He twisted it then stepped through.

The door shut behind him. Nothing looked different. It appeared to be the exact same woods, just a step further in. Soobin turned his head to look around. "This cant be right. What kind of paradise is this?" He took a couple steps forward, disappointed to see more forest. "Hello? Is anyone out there?"

A large silver wolf stepped out from behind a tree. It bore it's teeth and growled lowly to threaten the intruder.

Soobin backed up. "Easy! You're a good dog right? Good boy?"

The wolf kept slowly walking forward. It made threatening bites toward's the intruders hands. It's eyes were the blackest color nature could produce. In another threatening tactic, it stood on all fours then slammed it's front legs down.

Soobin noticed the wolf was almost as tall as him on all fours. His back was pressed against the door. He nervously fiddled around for the handle. This wasn't paradise. His grandpa was trying to fucking kill him.

As he grabbed the handle, the wolf started charging forward. He yelled "SHIT!" as he fell backwards through the door. He crawled away as fast as he could. The door was wide open as the wolf jumped through. It landed on top of it's intruder. Soobin closed his eyes yelling "PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!" as he tried to push it away. Suddenly, the body on top of him fell down. The 18 year old opened his eyes to see an arrow through it's skull. Blood was spattered over his face. He screamed then pushed it away from his body.

When he looked over, he saw a brown haired teenager holding a bow and arrow in his hands. He put the arrow and the bow away then looked at Soobin curiously. His voice was threatening as he asked "who the hell are you?"

"S-Soobin Choi..." He nervously wiped the blood off of his face with the front of his shirt.

"You made me kill one of my loved ones. I thought your grandpa told you to not let things through the door."

Soobin stood up and stared at the dead wolf on the ground. "I'm sorry! I didn't expect a wolf to try to kill me!"

The boy stepped through to collect his arrow. He turned around then started to walk back through the door. "I can hear you following me. Unless you want an arrow through your head, I'd suggest you don't."

Soobin chased after him anyways. "Wait! My grandpa said this was paradise! You saved my life too!"

The fluffy haired boy stopped walking. He shut the door so nothing else could get through. Then he turned to face Soobin. "Paradise? Is that what he told you?"

"Well... yes actually. Wait, what's your name?"

"Kai. Turn around and throw that key away. He was wrong. Look at the body again Soobin." They looked at it together. The wolf was no longer a wolf. It was a pink haired little girl with a hole in her head. "She was my sister and my best friend. It was paradise to your grandpa because he hunted my family. There's a reward for our heads. I killed her because when we're through this door, we can't change phases. She was dead as a wolf here. At least she died quickly."

Soobin felt bad even though it wasn't his fault. "I'm sorry."

"Thank me by never opening that door again. Now I'm officially the last of my family."

"You could stay here then! Let me make it up to you!"

Kai absolutely did not want to do that. "Are you suggesting I hang out with the reason I killed my sister?"

"No but I feel bad... are people in there hunting you too?"

"Not as many. I have protectors in there at least."

"What do you turn into?"

"A dragon."

Part of Soobin wanted to laugh because he thought it was a joke but then he looked at the dead little girl on the ground. It probably wasn't a joke.

Kai took a huge breath and breathed out fire towards the sky. His eyes glowed red as it was happening. When he was finished, they changed back to dark brown. "You believe me now? Your grandpa did a fucking good job killing my family off but he could never kill me. You're his blood. If I see you again, you're dead. Got it?"

Soobin watched Kai walk through the door. It harshly shut behind him. He looked at the key in his hand then the little girl again. How could his own flesh and blood kill a entire generation for money? It couldn't have been a lot of money too. He died a poor man.

The 18 year old stepped into the cabin just so he could think. It was as dusty as he assumed it to be. A couple of spiders scattered from under the couch when he sat down. An old piece of paper was stuck under a glass in front of him. He picked it up and blew the dust off. It revealed a hand drawing of Kai with the reward for killing him. $1,000,000.

There was three other posters underneath with black 'x' marks crossed onto the faces. The little girl was worth only $10,000. Who he assumed to be Kai's father, was only worth $250,000. The animal was a phoenix. Another girl was depicted. That had to be his older sister. She was worth $10,000 as well. Another wolf. Soobin asked himself where the mother was. Kai said he was the last in his family. She probably died earlier in his life. He knew exactly how it felt to not have a family. He wanted to make this right by protecting Kai if he wasn't killed first.

Soobin stood up and walked back to the door. The key leaped into the lock again. He held the handle for a while. This could easily be suicide but he owed it to Kai to at least try. He took a deep breath, grabbed the silver handle, then walked through.