🦄Beomkai- Hanging by a Thread

Year 2139.

Taehyun Kang. Captain of the Waterford police force.

Kai Kamal Huening. His right hand man. Two months away from being co-captain. A crowning achievement he had been working towards for five years now.

January 1st. A day that will go down in history as the first public hanging in centuries. Yeonjun and Soobin Choi were to be executed at noon.

11:45am. Taehyun walked across the stage with his uniform on. His medals were freshly polished. His shoes were brand new. They clinked with each step as he strode.

Kai walked at his side. They had been waiting for this day since the judge deemed the Chois guilty for murder. The two drank in the energy from the crowd. Excited murmurs were mixed in with celebratory cheers. It fueled their egos with every step. They shared a look with a smile and a nod; they knew history was about to be made.

Beomgyu Choi looked up from the sewer he was hiding in. He was supposed to be up there with his cousins but no one knew he existed. Yeonjun and Soobin refused to give away his location. To protect Beomgyu, they lead the society to believe they were the last ones. Loyalty was everything to the Chois. They've only had their family for as long as they could remember. Now Beomgyu was the only Choi left.

As he looked up, a large man stepped over his viewing point. The dirt from his shoes fell onto Beomgyu's face. He brushed it out of his eyes then navigated to a different area. Every sewer grate seemed to be covered by multiple pairs of shoes. The crowd was large. Their applause became louder as the two policemen drew closer to the podium. Beomgyu kept trudging through the shit. He had to see his cousins before they were killed.

There was one grate open but it was a mile away from the stage. All he saw was clouds and confetti through the slits. Beomgyu took a chance. He climbed out of it, hoping to hide in plain sight. To his luck, no one seemed to be paying attention to him.

As he passed through, he heard awful comments about his cousins. "Their existence was a mistake. This is the best thing that's happened to this country in the last fifty years. Fucking demons sent by the devil himself." Beomgyu kept his head down as he pushed through the people towards the stage. Bits of conversations continued to flood his ears. "Look at Captain Kang. No wonder he got promoted so young. Yeah but that Huening isn't far behind. Word on the street is he's getting promoted as co-captain soon. God bless them both for making our state safe."

Taehyun grinned towards Kai as he took the podium.

Kai mouthed "you got this" with his fist in the air for solidarity.

Taehyun mouthed "thank you" then turned to face the plaza. He stood up straight as his face became serious. When the crowd went silent, he began to address them. "Today is a historical day. It is not only a new year but the beginning of a new era!"

Kai couldn't help but feel proud as the crowd erupted in celebration. Flashes of cameras went off. Reporters adjusted their microphones so they could hear better. Security kept people at bay as Taehyun began to speak again.

"The Choi family has haunted us for the past half century. I, my sedulous team and my amazing partner, Lieutenant Kai Huening, have hunted them down relentlously for the past five years. Let us take a moment of silence for those we have lost in duty and those who have been victims of their evil."

Beomgyu had to stop moving. He put his head down and wished this moment of silence was truly just a moment. He wasn't even close to the stage. The breeze slipped his brown hood off of his head. He quickly put it back on. No one seemed to see him. His eyes ever so slightly peered towards the stage. He saw his cousins with black bags over their heads and a rope around their necks. He saw a squad lined up behind Taehyun.