😑Beomkai- The Brother I Chose

Kai drummed his pencils against his desk waiting for class to start. This high school wasn't bad but he missed his old one terribly. He had so many friends in it. Hell, he even had a band. Now he was the new kid whose only friends, if you can even call them that, were his step-brothers'. Most of them were only nice to him because Beomgyu told them to be. Only two ever talked to him without Beomgyu around and only one out of the two texted him. He was a total loner here.

Beomgyu came in with a couple of friends by his side. He was insanely popular in the school. He looked over and saw Kai mindlessly drumming again. "Hey little bro!"

Kai awkwardly waved. He went back to thinking about nothing. Nothing was changed to something when Soobin Choi walked into the room. He was the only friend of Beomgyu who bothered to text Kai. This was also the only class they shared together. The drumming turned into absent mindedly doodling in his notebook.

Soobin walked over to Kai after greeting Beomgyu. "What are you drawing?"

The notebook was slammed shut. "Nothing!"

"Come on! Let me see!" Soobin snatched the notebook out of his hands then sat on top of his desk. He flipped through the pages until he found the drawings. All were different anime characters. The most recent being a half finished drawing of Sailor Moon. "Wow. These are really good."

Kai's face turned a vibrant shade of red. "Thank you..."

"I didn't know you liked anime. I finally have someone to talk to about it!"

"Really? You like it too?!"

"Are you kidding?" Soobin whipped out his phone to show off the case.

Kai gasped. "Aqua!" He wanted to weeb out but the teacher cut him off. She told everyone class was starting. Soobin left to his desk and Kai went back to thinking about nothing.

When the school day ended, Beomgyu threw his arm around his little brother and began to walk with him. "Make any friends yet? Man. I'm so tired. We had to run the mile and then our push ups test. Can you believe I didn't get first place?!"

Kai dryly said "nope. That sure is a mystery."

Beomgyu stopped walking. "Alright. What's wrong?"

"I miss my old school. No one talks to me here unless they're doing you a favor."

"Really? Soobin asks about you a lot. Yeonjun also said he tried talking to you but you didn't seem interested in anything he had to say."

Kai's eyes popped open with hope. "Soobin asked about me?"

Beomgyu grinned as he began walking. "Yeah. I told him you hate him."

"YOU WHAT?!"

The older began laughing hysterically. He laughed harder seeing Kai's face. "Ah... man..." He wiped a singular tear from his eye then calmed down. They started to walk again. "No but seriously, he asked if you'd be interested in hanging out with him."

"What did you say?"

"To quit being a loser and ask himself."

Kai couldn't keep the smile off of his face no matter how hard he tried to suppress it.

Beomgyu noticed but he pretended not to. He wanted to get them together now. His little brother had been so miserable the last few months. It would be a nice change to see him happy.

They had been living together for four months and Kai seemed to only open up to him. That made Beomgyu feel equally honored and saddened.

The younger spent the first month sneaking away to see his friends from his old school when his mom was asleep. That became harder to do when school started. His friends got busier and he had a months worth of lessons to catch up on with his enrollment. Now all of Kai's free time was spent in his room if Beomgyu didn't drag him out. The only times he truly saw Kai happy was when they dropped him off at his dad's house.