😑Beomkai- My New Stepbrother

Beomgyu was cleaning the dining room. Tonight was going to be the first time meeting his future mother in law and his stepbrother. He grew up as an only child. The idea of having a brother was exciting to him. He asked "have you met him before? What is he like?"

His dad finished setting the table. He started to scroll through his phone for delivery options next. Cooking was out of the question. Neither of them could. "Very shy actually. Julia told me he gets nervous around people he doesn't know so take it easy on him okay?"

"So, what, he doesn't talk at all?"

"Apparently he's really energetic around his friends. He didn't say much to me when I met him though. Julia actually showed me a video of him on his 13th birthday. I haven't seen a kid that hyper since you."

"How old is he now?"

"Um. 15 I think? Almost two years younger than you. He might have just turned 16 actually. Don't tell his mom that I forgot. Please."

Beomgyu pretended to zip his lips shut and throw away the key. He swept up the remaining dirt then tossed it into the trashcan. "What are you ordering dad?"

"I was thinking italian food. One day, I'll actually learn how to cook."

Beomgyu bit his lip to suppress laughter. His dad tried making toast for him shortly after the divorce. It ended up burned. Cereal or yogurt was always his breakfast when he stayed with his dad. Dinners were take out or microwave meals. He started to mop then changed the subject. "When are they coming again?"

"At 6:00. So... soon. Food is ordered. I'm going to go pick it up from the restaurant."

"See ya dad." Beomgyu finished mopping. To kill time, he sat on the couch and played video games.

30 minutes later, Mr. Choi walked in with all of the food. "Hey kid. Help me out."

Beomgyu told his party he had to go. The TV shut off then he helped his dad set the food out. "Is that garlic bread?"

"Don't eat any now!"

"Too late." Beomgyu took a piece and bit into it. Butter, garlic and crunchy bread always made him happy. He snuck a couple bites of other dishes as they were laid out on the table.

The doorbell rang. Mr. Choi straightened his tie. He was nervous. His two worlds were meeting for the first time. He opened the door then kissed his fiance's cheek. "Hi! Come in! Come in! You look lovely today." He turned to face Kai. "Hi Kai! This is Beomgyu, my son. He's 17. Almost your age."

Beomgyu extended his hand. "Hey new baby bro!"

Mr. Choi smacked his face onto his palm.

Kai awkwardly shook his hand. "Um. Hi... big... brother?"

Beomgyu addressed his future mother in law next. "It's nice to meet you! I'm so glad I have a brother now! My dad didn't cook any of this. Don't let him lie to you."

She laughed. "I know. Kai's father was the same way. I make the greatest chicken katsu! I'll definitely make it one day!"

Mr. Choi wrapped his arm around his fiance. "Part of the reason I'm marrying her if I'm honest."

Beomgyu laughed as he sat down.

Kai sat on a random chair then started helping himself to some food. He didn't say anything while the other three talked. His life was perfect before his parents got divorced. He thought they were happy. That's how they acted. Turns out, they fought every time he wasn't around. He was living a lie. The divorce completely blindsided him. It was one thing if he had seen the signs but there wasn't any. Now he barely saw his dad. Every other weekend. What a joke. He didn't care for this new dad. He didn't care for his new brother either. He just wanted his parents back.

Beomgyu looked at his future stepbrother just pushing his food around. He wasn't eating at all. The pasta on his fork got twirled in an endless spiral. "Hey. Do you want some water? A coke? Juice?"

Kai shook his head no.

Beomgyu didn't give up. "Want to play some video games? I bet I can kick your ass in Call of Duty!"

"I'm sure you can."

Julia excused herself. She took her son outside to talk to him. "Kai. You said you'd try. They're good people."

"I'm sure they are."

"What is it sweetie?"

Kai slapped his hands on his thighs as he sat down on the step. "I miss dad. Why do I only get to see him four days a month? Why did you guys pretend everything was fine?! How did you expect me to react mom? I just came home from school to see dad packing his stuff because he 'can't stand to be around you anymore'?! Both of you should have told me you were having problems!"

"We thought we were protecting you! I'm sorry. We handled it poorly. I know you miss your father but you need to at least try... Beomgyu is putting an effort in. I expect you to do the same."

"Right. I'm going to take a walk. I'll be back." He got up then started walking down the neighborhood.

"Kai Kamal Huening!"

He ignored her and kept walking. Beomgyu was watching from the window. He ran out to join him. "Hey! Wait for me!"

Kai just kept walking.

Beomgyu caught up to him. They started to match steps. "I know how you feel. Your parents only got divorced two years ago right? Mine got divorced when I was nine but it still sucks. I miss my mom all the time."

"Really? Do you only see her twice a month?"

Beomgyu was thrilled Kai was actually talking now. "I alternate weeks with my mom and dad. I was always closer with my mom though."

"I only see my dad every other weekend. I love my dad. He taught me everything I know about music. We used to sing together all of the time. Now I'm lucky if I get a phone call with him."

"The divorce was that bad huh?"

"I wouldn't know. They don't tell me anything. They didn't even fight around me. I was fucking blindsided."

Beomgyu lead him around a corner so they could walk to the innerpart of town. "I wish my parents hadn't fought around me. Want to know what's ridiculous?"

"What?"

"I prayed for them to stop fighting every night before bed. God solved it by getting them divorced. I should've been more specific." Beomgyu looked up when he heard Kai laugh. They started laughing together at how silly it sounded. "I also prayed to date the prettiest girl in class but he didn't answer that one!"

Kai laughed harder. They rounded another corner and he realized he was lead to an ice cream shop. He checked his pockets. His wallet was back at the house.

Beomgyu opened the door for him. "It's on me. Don't worry about it. What are big brothers for?"

"Thanks." Kai ordered one scoop of strawberry and one scoop of cookies and cream. It was so creamy. The storebrand stuff didn't compare.

Beomgyu got a vanilla scoop and a pistachio scoop. They sat down at a table. He got a brain freeze from eating too quickly.

Kai laughed until he got one too. Once his head felt better, he finished the rest of his ice cream off. "So what video games do you play?"

"A little bit of everything. Been really into League of Legends lately."

"I'm in the top 1% in the world."

"Wanna go back and play with me? We can campaign together!"

"Sure!"

They walked back to the house together while talking about what Beomgyu's high school was like. Kai was shown pictures of his friends. He was given short descriptions of their personalities too.

When they got back to the house, they went straight to Beomgyu's room to game. It only took 10 minutes for them to start yelling at each other.

Mr. Choi joked "you weren't kidding. He is loud."

"I told you. I'm so glad they're going to be okay! I have a good feeling about this."

As the boys continued to game together, they shared that feeling too.