😘Beomkai- Glimpse into the Past

Beomgyu was sitting on his couch, eagerly waiting for his boyfriend to arrive.

He and Kai had been together since, well... forever. They grew up together on the same block. Went to the same daycare. Had the same babysitter. Obviously went to the same schools and they fell in love when they were 12.

Kai had always loved him. He was just waiting for Beomgyu to realize his feelings.

Beomgyu realized them when they went paintballing together. He ran out of paintballs for his gun so he resorted to chasing Kai around the course instead. It didn't take long to catch up with him. Kai wasn't a fast runner. Beomgyu tackled him into a bale of hay then smeared a bunch of paint on his face. When his splattering was completed, he realized there was one area he missed.

Kai's lips shined pink amongst the myriad of colors on his face. He could see his best friend debating on kissing him. He decided to take the chance. They had been officially dating since.

Now, Beomgyu was turning 13. Kai seemed to be more excited for his birthday than he was and he honestly wasn't sure why. They were both born on the same day. Beomgyu was just a few minutes older. He checked his phone to see a text message from his boyfriend. It read "please still love me after today! I'm so nervous. You're turning 13! This is huge!"

Kai walked through the door with a daisy before Beomgyu could respond. "Hey! Happy birthday baby bear!"

Beomgyu gave him a big hug. "It's your birthday too! Happy birthday Hyuka!"

"But yours is special!"

"Why is it so special?"

"I..." Kai offered him the flower again. "You'll see..."

Beomgyu took the flower. It smelled lovely. The daisy was placed on his dresser then he ran back out with Kai's gift in his hand. "Here. You don't get it until you tell me why you're not happy though!"

"Come on. You'll see. I'm just worried I'll lose you after today." Kai took his boyfriend's hand then dragged him across the street. In his backyard, was a bunch of string lights, a large blanket and a bunch of picnic food his mom put together. "Do you like it?"

Beomgyu loved it but Kai's demeanor was keeping him from fully enjoying himself. He set the small blue box on the blanket then sat down next to it. "I love it but you're scaring me. Are you breaking up with me?"

"No!" Kai sat across from him. "There's something that I've been meaning to tell you for a few years now. I don't celebrate my birthday for a reason... my parents also aren't really my parents."

"What? Okay wait. Forget the parents thing for a second. What do you want to tell me?"

"It's actually easier to show you."

Beomgyu sat still while he watched Kai press his finger to his temple. In an instant, he was shown an image of a baby being held by a woman in a hospital. He then saw a 4 year old boy playing catch with his dad on a little league field. The next image was the boy a bit more grown at his 12th birthday party. He was seen blowing out candles while his mom placed a large wet kiss on his cheek. That swirled into seeing the boy gravely ill in the hospital. He was hooked up to a bunch of machines while his parents cried by his bedside. The last image was the boy and Kai under a willow tree. He recognized the boy as himself.

Kai took his finger off and waited. He was so nervous at what his boyfriend was thinking. His eyes searched for an expression but found nothing beyond shock.

Beomgyu didn't understand what just happened. That was him but it also wasn't him. His jaw struggled to close as his brain attempted to process what it saw. After a minute, he finally asked "what? Just what? What the fuck just happened? Was that me?!"