😘Sookai- Blue Hour: Blue Spring

"Hey."

Soobin looked around. He didn't know how he got here but he also didn't really care. All he knew was the love of his life was standing 6 feet away from him in a meadow. The gentle breeze blew across his face, exposing his forehead. He picked up a purple wildflower and offered it.

Kai held it. It bloomed in his hands then died shortly after. He looked towards the sky when the breeze blew the dead petals away. A thin band of yellow lay on the horizon of the grass. It ombred upwards to a dark blue. Not a single cloud could be seen. Kai turned back to Soobin and asked "is this what you wanted?"

Soobin grabbed another flower. This one was yellow. He placed it behind his love's ear. The flower opened up then quickly died like the last one did. He brushed it away from his face then watched it fall to the grass. "It is but it isn't what I expected."

Kai smiled towards the ground. He looked up with an even bigger smile when their eyes met. "What were you expecting?"

"To feel whole." Soobin sat down on the grass and just looked towards the sky. "I feel the same. I just feel like I'm missing something."

The sky never changed off of that colbalt blue. Kai knelt down across from the taller. The grass and flowers around him died. "But I gave you what you wanted! I assumed you'd be thrilled."

"Kai..." Soobin took his hands and held them tightly. "I only wanted this because I thought it would make you love me."

"Oh..." The land around both of them was now dead. They were sitting in a dead circle while the rest of the meadow around them lived. Kai let go of his hands then sat down next to him. His head rested on the taller's shoulder. They stared at the horizon. "How long have you been feeling this way?"

"Does it matter?"

"I guess not. I just really didn't know. I thought you wanted it because you were tired of living."

Soobin kissed his forehead. "No. I mean I'm technically still living. Right?"

Kai smiled to himself. "Yes. It's just temporary like all things are."

"Have you ever felt that way about me?"

The dead circle began to expand. "No. I was with him. You know that."

"But he's been gone for a while. I'm sorry, I just really thought I had a chance."

Kai lifted his head to try and meet Soobin's eyes but the other wouldn't look at him. He sighed then stood up. Kai started to walk towards the sun. Every step he took left a trail of dead nature behind. The sun never got closer but he kept walking regardless. He stopped when he heard Soobin running after him. Once the taller stood behind him, he stated "I can't think about you that way. I've been with you for almost a hundred years. Now, I can actually lose you. I guess it was going to happen eventually."

Soobin gently turned him around. "Take it back then. You'll never have to lose me! It's perfect! You're the only person who can kill me Kai. Please... I'm willing to die if you can honestly tell me you don't feel the same way I do. I can't if you do."

"Soobin..." Kai started to walk away again. The taller chased after him. "Stop! You're going to regret it!" He began to run now. The meadow was wilting with his mood. Whispy dark clouds formed in the sky but the sun still never rose. "Soobin you're going to leave me eventually! He chose to move on! You will too!"

The taller finally caught him. He grabbed his love's hand and pulled him into his body. They didn't move as they held each other. Soobin kissed his forehead again then went back into their hug. "Kai. Do you seriously think I'm going to leave you?" He felt the shorter nod against his chest. "I won't. There isn't any moving on from you. Even if you say you don't love me back, I'll still be by your side until I die. I promise."

Kai mumbled into the taller's chest "everyone leaves me. It might take you longer but you'll leave me too." He pulled himself together then smiled like he always did. "It's okay! It's my job. You got your wish!"

Soobin caressed his cheek with his hand. The other hand held the shorter's waist. "Tell me how you feel about me."

"I still love him..." Kai stared at his lips. It had been seven years since his husband died. Soobin was there to support him every time he needed it. He couldn't go through that kind of grief again. If Soobin died, there wouldn't be anyone left to help him pick up the pieces.

It wasn't just the area around the two that was dead. What once was a vibrant meadow, filled with colors and life, was now brown and wilted. The thin gray clouds got thicker. The sun still never changed position.

Soobin kept running his thumb over Kai's cheek. He was patient. "I know you do. I'm okay with it. How do you feel about me?"

Kai very faintly said "I love you too. I'm just scared forever won't be forever."

Soobin used his thumb to tilt the shorter's chin upwards so they could lock eyes. Slowly, the field started to bloom again. Once luminious gray clouds, now receeded to reveal the colbalt sky that never left. "Please take it back. I can't die knowing you love me too."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm sure."

Kai closed his eyes. He wasn't sure of this but it wasn't his choice. For someone with so much power, it was common for Kai to feel powerless. He placed his hands on Soobin's heart then focused his mind. It took a minute but his heart eventually stopped beating. He opened his eyes to see the delight on Soobin's face. "There. It's gone."

"Thank you. How do you feel about it?"

"Like you made a mistake."

"I didn't. Trust me." Soobin smiled brightly as he kissed him. He smiled more as Kai sunk into the kiss. The field bloomed full of blue wildflowers. The grass rose into a deep forest green as the sun started to peak over the horizon. Soobin stopped for a second to say "I love you so much", before going right back to kissing him. He's known Kai for almost a century. That was nothing compared to the eternity awaiting them.

Kai's gorgeous smile returned. "I love you too. Ready to go home?"

"Wait." Soobin picked up a blue wildflower and placed it behind Kai's ear. It didn't die this time. The flower became the color of the sky. What was once a colbalt blue, now faded to a baby blue as the sun continued to rise. "I'm ready now."

Kai held his hands then kissed him again. When they opened their eyes, they were in Soobin's living room. His stomach started to growl. They were in that meadow for a while. "Are you hungry?"

"Sure. You ever going to tell me how I'm able to eat food with you?"

"Nope!" Kai smiled as he started to make a large pot of instant ramen. Another pot started to boil so they could have eggs with it. "You'll have a lifetime to guess though honey!"

Soobin laughed. He looked out the window to see the sky the same baby blue, as sunlight peaked through the streets. He looked on the sidewalk to see some blue wildflowers growing in the cracks. A raven flying by suddenly dropped dead. Soobin looked over to see his love placing eggs into the boiling water. Now he knew how Kai did it. It made him love him even more.