Yeonkai- Within the Moonlight

Love.

That's all Yeonjun Choi wanted.

Fear.

That's what kept Yeonjun from getting it. Not because he was scared of love, but because he was terrified of his lover would be afraid of him.

It was 10pm. Yeonjun was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel of his jeep. He was nervous as hell. He had been emotionally holding himself back from Kai for too long. His boyfriend confessed that he loved him three days ago. Yeonjun couldn't say it back. He loved Kai more than anything in the world but he couldn't admit it until he knew Kai would stay once he revealed his secret.

They fought when Kai didn't hear it back. The younger knew his boyfriend loved him. It hurt so much that Yeonjun just wouldn't admit it. They almost broke up. Kai didn't want to be with someone who was afraid of his feelings. When he loved, he loved hard. He wanted to give Yeonjun his soul with the expectation his boyfriend would cherish his in return. Mixed signals felt like a waste of both of their time.

Yeonjun couldn't lose him. He had never felt this way about anyone before. If they were really meant to be, Kai would accept him for who he is. Yeonjun convinced him to come tonight. He was done keeping secrets. Now he was nervously waiting.

Kai opened the passenger door then sat into the seat. He was still mad. He didn't even want to look at his boyfriend. "This better be good."

"It-" Yeonjun sighed. "It'll explain why I've been holding back." He tried to touch Kai's hand but the younger pulled it away. Yeonjun stared ahead towards the woods. He started to drive into it. "You mean the world to me. I hope you know that."

"Yet you don't love me."

"Kai..."

"I wouldn't be this mad if I knew you didn't feel the same way! Didn't you fall for me first? Didn't you tell me I make you happier than you've ever felt before?!"

"Yes! But-"

"But what Yeonjun?"

"Just wait! I'll show you! I promise you'll understand everything in a few minutes!"

Kai leaned his head on the side window. He stared at the full moon. The trees whipped past but the moon remained in place. He heard their shared playlist come on through the speakers. The romantic gesture was appreciated but still not enough.

Yeonjun reached for his hand again. This time, Kai didn't pull away. His fears increased once they drove past the broken tree.

Kai's hand started to hurt from how much his boyfriend was squeezing it. "Sweetheart? Are you okay?"

"Oh. Sorry. Yeah, I'm fine." Yeonjun stopped the car when they arrived at a meadow. He stepped out of the car then looked around. They were here. He could sense them. A few were scattered in the shadows of the tree line. The others were a bit further back.

The pale blue flowers brushed against Kai's fingertips as he walked towards the middle of the meadow. He looked up to the moon again. It was so bright. Sunlight was overrated. Moonlight made everything so much more romantic. Kai sat down next to a patch of flowers. He looked at his boyfriend who was slowly walking towards him. "I love you Yeonjun. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. What am I to you?"

"My everything." Yeonjun knelt down across from him. Kai's cheeks glittered under the soft white light. His eyes twinkled under the stars as they gazed into his. Yeonjun placed a light kiss on his forehead then backed away. Once they were about six feet apart, he commanded "you can come out now."

Kai looked around when he heard footsteps in the treelines. He stood up. His eyes darted in every direction. The steps grew louder. He had no idea what was going on. Then he saw them. Wolves. Seven of them, all closing in on him in a circle. His heart was beating out of his chest. Kai didn't move. He watched them all walk towards his boyfriend. Their teeth were bared. Some growled. The smallest one looked at him curiously as it made it's way towards Yeonjun's side. Kai whispered "what the fuck?"