Beomkai- Dreamers

Beomgyu was running for his life. Kai was already on the train. He was slipping behind further and further as the train picked up speed. "KAI!" His hand reached out towards his boyfriend as the distance between them grew larger.

"BABY! HOLD ON! I'M COMING FOR YOU!"

Kai climbed on top of the cargo box he was sitting in. He started sprinting across the roof. Each jump was a huge risk to his life. The wheels rolling along the tracks drowned out everything his boyfriend was yelling. He saw his mouth move as he tried to run faster. The distance between them stayed the same but never got smaller. Kai was nearing in on the last car. It was either jump and risk being paralyzed, or stay and risk losing his boyfriend forever.

Beomgyu saw him stuck on the edge as he continued to run. He started to panic. "BABY DON'T! I'LL FIND YOU! I PROMISE!"

"NO!" Kai saw him stop running. "BABY PLEASE! BEOMGYU!" Kai watched helplessly as his boyfriend faded from his view. Tears whipped into the wind as his boyfriend got smaller and smaller. It only took a minute before he couldn't see him at all. He fell to his knees on top of that boxcar. "FUCK!"

Beomgyu hated himself for not jumping onto the train sooner. He had the chance but his nerves kept him on the ground. Now he had no idea if he would ever see Kai again. He had no choice but to follow the tracks. Beomgyu started to jog. The next stop was 150 miles away.

Kai walked back up the train until he found an empty car. He sat into it and just stared at the endless wheat field. When the train reached it's next stop, he was going to get off and find his boyfriend.

They were just dreamers running towards a better tomorrow. Their heads were always in the clouds. Beomgyu was convinced they could be rockstars in California if someone just gave them the chance. They were inspired by the hippie movement of the 60s. People just getting onto a train with nothing but anticipation for the future. Their romanticization of the era blinded them from the ugly facts. People died catching the trains. People lost limbs. Some were paralyzed. Most didn't make it big even if they did survive the journey. They became homeless drug addicts if they couldn't land a job. Those who ran away were generally unskilled. Big dreams were just that. Dreams.

Kai and Beomgyu were realizing this as they stared at the stars. Kai sat on the train and began to regret everything. He left because he didn't want to take over his mother's dinky little restaurant. They were struggling enough as it is. Inflation meant people had less money. Their family business was hanging by a thread. He worked for 6 hour shifts, every day after school, for free, to help his family survive. Music was always his passion. He could never see himself as a chef. His parents were admirable but that life just wasn't for him.

Beomgyu was in a similar situation. His parents were doctors so naturally they pushed him towards that path. He used to sneak out at night to play his guitar. Studying was all he did when his parents were watching and they seemed to be always watching.

One night, after studying biology textbooks for three hours straight, he begged his parents to let him go out for food. They said he could. He chose Kai's restaurant because it was the closest to his house. Kai was just singing to himself while bussing tables. Beomgyu fell in love with his voice. Kai ended up waiting on him and they couldn't keep their eyes off of each other. They exchanged numbers then started secretly dating behind their parent's backs.

The decision to run away was Beomgyu's idea. They had a bunch of demos recorded. He really did believe they could make it if someone just gave them a chance. Kai was hesitant until he found out the restaurant wouldn't even be his. His older sister was supposed to get it instead. There wasn't any point of staying so they took off that night.