🤣Sookai- 16th Birthday

Kai sat under a cypress tree. It was the only one in the small lake by the castle. The leaves were fading to brown as the air got colder outside. This tree was his favorite place to read, mainly because Soobin couldn't swim so it was harder for the taller to reach him there.

He really missed his family. He hoped Yeonjun wasn't blaming himself for his disappearance. As he read through his book on the elements, the crunch of dead grass drew closer to him. Without looking up, he asked "what do you want this time?"

Soobin looked at the water's edge. It was too cold for him to go after Kai. That would be the excuse anyway if Kai missed his classes again. "Professor is looking for you. He's going to get mad again."

"He knows where to find me."

"I know you miss your family but your powers still need to be harnessed."

"I know." Kai kept reading as he heard those footsteps retreat. Despite knowing nothing about magic going in, he was acing all of his classes. His love of reading was paying off. It was hard for his professors to be mad when he always did his homework on time and always scored high on tests.

This place was weird to him. The majority of the kids didn't even have the ability to manipulate magic. They were powerless people training to be soldiers. Nepotism was the sole reason his classmates were in that school. As far as he was aware, Soobin and him were part of the twenty who did have abilities amongst a class of 350.

Students kept bothering him too. They kept calling him "the blessing". They asked about his personal life and his lineage. He was just Kai. A 14 year old boy who wanted to go back to his real home. A boy who saw his powers as a curse because it ripped him from the life he loved.

Soobin was assigned to keep an eye on him when he escaped one night. All Kai wanted to do was see if his family was okay. He visited his fake grave and saw his youngest sister placing fresh flowers on it. His oldest sister held the dog while his parents weeped in the back. He then went to visit Yeonjun. His old friend was sitting on his porch in an all black outfit. He heard his dad try to encourage him to go hang out with Changbin. Yeonjun said "maybe next time" as he stared into the horizon. Kai longed to tell him he was still alive. He was about to until Soobin caught up to him. The prince hadn't left his side since.

Kai closed his eyes. He felt them turn a sharp shade of pink. When he opened them, he was levitating above the ground. He then concentrated on the lake. The surface of the water started to ripple. His hands seperated. The water split to the sides to reveal the bottom of the lake. Kai descended into the seaweed. There had to be something down there worth finding.

Soobin watched in awe. Kai was catching on quicker than anyone expected. The younger absorbed all of their knowledge with mastery. Kai really was the blessing. Soobin wasn't sure why he was necessary in his development yet. All his mother told him was their war was lost without Kai and Kai was lost without him.

In the seaweed, he found a sandy necklace of white pearls. "Ah. I knew there was treasure down here." He pocketed it then decided to call it a day. He could always go back later. When Kai was under the tree again, he closed his hands together. The water walls fell back into place. Small waves spilled over the lake's edge as it refilled itself. Kai then floated over the water to land right in front of Soobin. His irises turned back to chocolate brown. He held out the necklace as an offering. "It's your birthday isn't it? Happy birthday Soobin."

"You're giving me a gift? I thought you hated me."

"Well you did steal me from my family."

"You mean you willingly walked with me?"

"Not the point. Point is, I need you. I heard your mom telling you that guy was powerful. If I'm supposed to fight him then I need help. You're the best fighter I know."

Soobin took the necklace then clasped it around his neck. It fit perfectly as it dangled just above his collarbones. "He is dangerous. His friend is just as dangerous too."

"Taehyun can paralyze. What can Beomgyu do?"

"Dragon tamer."

"Of course."

"What are you so worried about? You can easily take down a dragon. Not many people can say that."

"Not if I'm paralyzed! I can't fight."

Soobin placed his hand on his shoulder. "With your powers? You can overcome it. No one can do what you can."

"That's why I need you. I don't know how. You believe in me. I don't."

Soobin gazed at the lake. The water was still. He reflected on the vision of Kai in a battlefield. He remembered screaming something at him to make him snap out of his trance. He concentrated on his lips in the vision. It was hard to make out what he said. "Kai can you lip read?"

"Not really? Why?"

"See if you can tell what this is." His lips imitated himself in the vision.

Kai asked to see it again. His head titled to the side. "I could be wrong but I think it's 'you're my destiny sweetheart. I need you to fight for me?' Why do you ask?"

Soobin matched the words with his lips in the vision. It fit. He now knew why Kai needed him. He needed not someTHING to fight for but someONE. Soobin looked at him completely differently now. "Um. No reason. I love the necklace. Thank you. So, ready to train?"

"Right now? You want to train on your birthday?"

"I don't mind. We can do something else too."

"Surprised you're willing to skip school."

"Wouldn't be the first time."

Kai took the hand that was offered to him. They began to walk towards the castle. "Can I tell you something?"

"Anything."

"I don't completely understand my powers. I get the whole vibration, soundwave, manipulation thing but I don't understand how I can fly with no effort. I also don't get why I can only produce pain on living beings."

"Flight is a power. You can have more than one. Like I shouldn't technically be able to blind people but I can. As for the pain thing, it's because you're not fully in control yet. You will be though. Fighting teaches discipline. I think this will be good for you."

Kai supposed he was right.

They arrived at the castle to see the queen waiting at the door. She saw them holding hands. In her excitement, she beamed "you guys are finally together! I can't wait to see how this plays out!"

Kai dropped his hand from Soobin's hold. "What? What do you mean together?"

Soobin glared at his mother. She took the hint and walked away. "I can explain."

"I don't mind it."

"What?"

"The idea of us being together."

"You don't?" Soobin nervously took his hand again. "I thought you didn't see me that way."

"I didn't before but I'm done trying to fight my fate. If a prophecy says we're supposed to be together then I'm going to trust it." Kai kissed his cheek. "Happy birthday Prince Soobin Choi. It is an honor to be your boyfriend."

Soobin kissed his lips. "The honor is all mine sweetheart."

Kai joked "ready to get yelled at for skipping school?"

"Let's get this over with."

Prophecies typically don't change because people act within the realms of predictability. Kai wasn't supposed to get with Soobin this early. This was an anomaly.

The queen sat in her bedroom, staring at the crystal ball. She watched the prophecy change to her horror. The blessing was now their doom. She saw Taehyun and Beomgyu killing Soobin in front of Kai. The war ended when Kai's rage became uncontrollable. He didn't just strike the enemy down, he blindly murdered everyone. She didn't know how to proceed once the vision ended. Fear enveloped her when she saw the prince and the blessing walk into her bedroom. Her next steps were crucial. The fate of their world depended on it.