Beomkai- Land and Sea

A storm was coming. It was only supposed to rain with some elevated winds. What happened instead was borderline tsunami territory. The waves continued to rise. Their violence rocked the Choi family boat while it was out at sea. The winds seemed to cut through their skin as rain pelted down on their jackets.

Beomgyu was scrambling to help his family adjust the sails. His dad was busy turning the wheel while his mom and brother worked to rid the floor of water. Another wave crashed onto the top. This one was larger than the others. The little boat was close to flipping but it held on.

Land was over 20 miles away. What was supposed to be a nice family fishing trip, ended up being a nightmare. The clouds grew thicker over the afternoon sun. Dark gray casted a filter onto the ocean. The waves kept rising. They seemed to want to sink the boat as they crashed down again.

Beomgyu was struggling to hold onto the ropes of the main sail. It was hard to see through the rain that was harshly hitting his face. He jumped when the boon of the boat slammed backwards towards his direction. The momentum pinned him to the rail of the port side. Another wave made him slip. The water carried him backwards over the edge. He was now tumbling down into the depths of the ocean.

When he broke the surface of the water, he only had a moment before another wave pushed him down again. Beomgyu's lungs tightened as he continued to lose air. Only darkness surrounded him as he struggled to swim to the surface. Even if he managed to gain air, the coldness of the water was sure to kill him soon.

The waves were getting smaller. Beomgyu gasped for breath when he broke the surface for the third time. He was exhausted. His skin was completely numb as the rain continued to whip across his face. He floated for a moment before a smaller wave took him back down. There wasn't any energy left in him. He decided this was it. This was the end. He passed out as he continued to sink further into the suffocating darkness.

Beomgyu woke up to the sound of seagulls circling him overhead. The sun blinded him as he sat up. He looked down to see he was covered in a thick blanket of seaweed. His lips hurt from extreme dryness. He was dehyrdated to hell. The sound of soft footsteps in the sand could be heard coming towards him. He turned around to see a tall man with thick wavy black hair. He sat very still. He couldn't tell if this guy was a danger to him or not.

The man held out a large coconut that was broken in half.

Beomgyu grabbed it then downed the sweet liquid that was inside. He took the other half and proceeded to drain that one too. Then the flesh got ripped off and devoured.

The man giggled. He sat down and just watched this stranger tear apart the coconut.

Once the flesh was gone, Beomgyu looked over to see the guy with the biggest grin on his face. It weirded him out. He wiped his mouth off with the back of his hand then looked around. There wasn't much besides sand, ocean and a thick forest. He took another look at the guy who was still smiling. The guy looked clean. His teeth were perfect pearls of white. His fluffy black hair danced in the breeze. There wasn't any way this guy could look that pristine if he lived on this island. Curiosity about the guy was starting to get to him. Beomgyu asked "can you understand me?"

The guy enthusiastically nodded. He still didn't speak but his eyes seem to say it all.

Beomgyu couldn't help but grin. The guy's happiness was contagious. "What's your name?"

The guy's smile dropped. He looked around nervously at the ocean. In the smallest whisper, he said "Kai."

In an equally hushed tone, Beomgyu asked "why are we whispering?"

Kai's smile returned for a moment before he looked out into the ocean again. His volume became normal. His tone was as sweet as his expression when he looked at Beomgyu. "I'm not supposed to be here. I wasn't supposed to save you either."