Beomkai- Last Night of Secrecy

Beomgyu went around making sure all the blinds were shut. Kai did the same upstairs. They couldn't be seen together.

Being gay was punishable by death, especially in a country with a low birth rate. 2/3 of the population died out 10 years ago from old age. The political leaders were desperate. The economy couldn't sustain itself. They had to make some new laws. Killing off the people who weren't helping the birth rate was one of them.

Kai and Beomgyu were madly in love. It killed them to not show affection for each other in public. Officially, as far as the law was concerned, they were roommates. Both saved like crazy so they could move countries to get married. They already had their engagement rings. It was a symbol of hope that stayed hidden in a drawer. Tonight, they put their rings on. One last night of hiding. One last grand celebration because their visas got approved earlier that morning.

Beomgyu turned around to see his fiance securely tying down the last set of curtains. He walked over to hug him from behind. "I can't to marry you baby."

Kai grabbed his arms and wrapped them tighter around himself. He finished securing the curtains then turned around. His hands cupped his fiance's cheeks as he leaned in to kiss him.

Beomgyu felt nothing but love and excitement for their future. He took his hands and began to dance with him in their living room. They practiced their first dance for their wedding. The rest of the world didn't exist in this moment. Kai lifted his fiance then twirled him in the air. Beomgyu kissed him again upon touching back down. "I love you so much honey."

"I love you too!" Kai twirled him around one last time as the song came to a close. He kissed his lips, then his forehead, when their dance was over. "Okay, do we need any last minute things before we leave tomorrow?"

"More padding for the guitars."

"Got it." Kai grabbed his keys then headed out. "I'll be back in a couple of minutes."

Kai decided to walk. It wasn't too far. While this country was a shit hole, it was going to be their last night here. He wanted to take a few extra moments to remember this place. Poverty was all around as he kept walking to the hardware store. A homeless man broke a bottle of beer on the sidewalk. Kai just went around it. A couple of prostitues were hanging around the corner. One of them was an old co-worker. The population implosion effected everyone. He was one of the few, like his fiance, who wasn't laid off. Their salaries were slashed in half but they at least still had stable jobs.

The hardware store was set to close in five minutes. A couple employees grumbled when Kai walked through the door. He promised to be quick. He browsed through the aisles until he found more styrofoam peanuts. The cashier quickly rang him up so he would leave.

On the way back home, one of the prostitues asked if Kai was interested in a "good time tonight". He politely declined as he kept walking.

The girl was desperate for cash. She started following him. "Wait! I promise to make it worth your while! $10 for a great time!"

Kai walked faster. He just wanted to go home to his fiance. Very loudly, he yelled "STOP FOLLOWING ME! I'M NOT INTERESTED!"

The girl hadn't had a client in a week. She needed money so she continued to follow him. "I'll leave if you just give me some cash! Please!"

Kai found himself shoved into an alley. He fell backwards. The bag of foam peanuts broke his fall as it spilled onto the dirt. He tried to scramble to his feet but found himself pinned down. "GET OFF OF ME!"

The girl dug through his pockets. She was looking for his wallet. Her breasts were hanging out of her torn dress as a last deserpate move. "JUST GIVE ME MONEY!"