Yeonkai- Attempting to Bake

"Yeonjun, are you sure about this?"

"Of course! What could go wrong?!"

"Lots of things actually!"

Yeonjun was nervous as they were trying to bake a cake for Taehyun. The two had only been dating for three weeks but his birthday was coming up. He wanted to be a good boyfriend. Kai insisted they just buy a cake but the older thought that was too impersonal.

Neither of them could bake. Hell, they could barely make instant ramen. Kai once put too much water in so it boiled over. Yeonjun didn't cook his for long enough so his noodles ended up crunchy.

To make things easier for themselves, Kai insisted, practically begged, for them to use a boxed cake mix. Yeonjun said his boyfriend deserved the best which meant doing it from scratch.

Right now, they were making a test one. They knew themselves well enough to have a practice first before the actual thing. It started off with them using liquid measuring cups for dry ingredients. Then they realized they read the recipe wrong and got cocoa nibs instead of the powder. Kai complained "Yeonjun we suck at this."

The older grabbed his keys to go back to the grocery store for the third time. Kai stayed behind to try measuring the dry ingredients again. This time he actually used the correct tools.

He grabbed a seperate bowl to start the wet ingredients. It all went fine until it was time to crack an egg. Due to clumsiness, the first one ended up on the floor. Kai cleaned it up then cracked the second egg too hard against the bowl. The yolk and majority of the whites ended up on the table. He was thankful Yeonjun wasn't around to see this. That got cleaned up then tossed into the trash. The third egg was perfectly seperated. Kai was so proud. The second egg needed for the cake, got cracked. A little bit of shell fell in. He used a pair of chopsticks to fish it out then mixed the liquids together.

Yeonjun came back with the cocoa powder. He was pleasantly surprised to see how much progress Kai made. They added the powder to the dry ingredients and whisked it together. Wet then went into dry. Kai whisked too hard so powder went all over Yeonjun's shirt. He, maturely, responded by grabbing a handful of flour and tossing it at him. A war started. It wasn't their brightest idea. Powders ended up all over their faces and was burried in their hair. They called a truce then took a shower.

Kai calmly mixed the ingredients together while Yeonjun messed with the oven. It was set to 350 degrees. Now he just had to find a cake pan. They did not own one. Frustrated, he went back to the store again for the fourth time to go get it. A medium sized heart shaped pan caught his eye. It was a little more expensive than he would have liked but it was for his boyfriend. Taehyun was worth every penny.

Yeonjun returned to see Kai eating some of the batter. He wanted to be mad but his best friend looked silly with chocolate smeared on his face. He grabbed a spoon to eat some too. Kai joked "it would be funny if we got sick from this."

"Worth it."

They poured the batter into the pan. A timer was set for 35 minutes. Kai did the dishes during that time while Yeonjun cleaned the table. He started making the frosting afterwards. That was much simpler than the cake. When it was done, he fed a spoonful to Kai. The younger beamed "it's so good!"

Yeonjun fed him another spoonful before putting plastic wrap over the bowl. The timer to the oven went off. They poked the middle of the cake with a butter knife. It came out clean. The oven shut off as the cake came out to cool. He looked over to see the one thing he forgot. "God fucking damn it."

Kai asked "what? It smells really amazing!"

"I didn't spray the pan..."

The younger's face faltered. "Oh. OH. I mean, maybe we can still get it out!"

They didn't bother to let it cool now. The pan got quickly flipped onto a large plate. They pulled the sides up and saw the cake still stuck in the thing. Kai shook it while Yeonjun forcefully smacked the top. Only the middle of it plopped onto the plate. Kai flipped the pan over to see cake stuck to the edges. He took a piece to taste it. "Hey! At least it tastes good!"

Yeonjun took a piece from the pan for himself. It was warm, rich and sweet. If he had sprayed the stupid pan, it literally would've been perfect. He grabbed a small plastic bag and put some of the frosting inside. That one got handed to Kai then he made himself another one. "Do you think we should bother to try doing a design?"

Kai started laughing. "Honestly? Let's just try to write his name. I'd be happy if we managed to do that."

The tips of the frosting bags got cut off. They were too big so the letters were giant. Kai started laughing really hard seeing only 'Taeh' being able to fit onto the cake. Yeonjun playfully smacked him then started laughing too. "Kai we're doomed!"

The younger kept laughing. It took another minute for him to calm down. "Maybe just 'Tae' then!" He used a butter knife to scrape the frosting off and they settled for 'Tae' instead of 'Taehyun'.

Yeonjun took a photo because the cake looked so bad it was funny. He laughed with his best friend about it some more. "Do you- do you think I'll still have a boyfriend after this?"

Kai popped a piece of broken cake into his mouth then licked his lips. "I think so! And if you don't, you can eat your feelings with the cake!"

Yeonjun jokingly pushed him away then started to clean up again. Now that they had an idea of what they were doing, it was going to be easier tomorrow.

Taehyun's birthday came.

The two best friends started making the cake first thing in the morning in case they fucked up again. Yeonjun did the dry ingredients. Kai did the wet. They double, triple checked their measuring cups were correct before they started.

Once the seperate mixtures were complete, Kai slowly added the liquids into the powders. Yeonjun was careful in his whisking. Like before, they each ate a spoonful of batter when it was all combined.

The oven got set to 350 degrees. It didn't take long for it to heat. Yeonjun thoroughly sprayed the heart shaped pan down so the damn thing would slip out this time. Kai poured the batter in and the timer was set. They quickly hugged while peering through the oven door. Everything went perfectly.

Kai started the dishes again while Yeonjun cleaned. They took the frosting out of the fridge and placed it on top of the oven. Taehyun called Yeonjun. The two answered saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

The birthday boy laughed then asked "where are you guys? We're all waiting at the studio."

Yeonjun answered "getting your birthday present. We won't be late. We still have 30 minutes."

"Alright. Hurry up."

Kai pressed the red button while Yeonjun checked the cake. It was done.

An hour later, Taehyun was in the middle of his birthday live when he saw the door open. Yeonjun and Kai came in holding the cake with a single candle in it. They started singing the birthday song. Kai put the cake down so Yeonjun could dance. He laughed as he hugged Taehyun. "Happy birthday Taehyunnie! We didn't burn it! It's really good!"

Taehyun grabbed a slice then tried it. Kai wasn't lying. It actually was pretty good. Yeonjun hugged him from behind and placed a dramatic kiss on his cheek. Taehyun pretended to hate it for the fans. He whispered something dirty into his boyfriend's ear while Kai showed off the cake to the camera.

The two best friends left shortly after so Taehyun could close his live out. Yeonjun wrapped his arm around Kai saying "I can't believe we actually baked that thing."

"Next year we're making Soobin bake it. Deal?"

"Deal."