Beomkai- Teacher Huening

Kai looked out the window to see rain pour from the sky. He looked at his classroom full of little seven year olds and sighed. "Sorry kids. We can't go outside today."

The kids said "awe! No fair!"

Kai laughed. "I'm sorry you guys. Go get your blankets and we can watch a movie instead!"

The kids cheered then ran to their lockers. Kai grabbed the pouches of fruit snacks from his desk then opened his mini fridge to grab the pouches of fruit juice. He set them down on the arts and crafts table. "Set your blankets down and line up!"

Some of the children got pushy trying to go to the front. One of the smarter ones reminded them they were all getting snacks. It took a bit of encouragement but they eventually formed a perfect line.

Kai handed the snacks out one by one. Before he put the DVD into the projector, he held up the big blue stuffed penguin by his desk. "Okay! Before we start the movie, we do have a gold star winner!"
He pointed to the board with all of the kids name's listed. The child who got the most stars was a little boy named "Nathan". Kai held the penguin out then said "come on up here Nathan! You get to hold the penguin until your parents come pick you up!"

The little boy skipped up to the desk to collect the large penguin. The thing was half the size of him. It looked funny as he ran to his blanket.

A little girl asked "Mr. Huening?"

"Yes Lilah?"

"What are we watching today?"

"Tangled!"

The kids cheered and giggled. Kai put the DVD into the projector. As the starting credits pulled up, he reminded the kids to throw their trash away into the bin in the corner. A couple of the kids said "yes Mr. Huening!"

Kai began to grade his papers while the movie was playing. 20 minutes in, the first parent came to pick their child up. The little girl didn't want to leave. It took some encouragement from Kai to finally get her to collect her things.

An hour in, all of the kids were picked up except one. Emma Choi was always the last in his class because her dad worked late at the recording studio. Kai felt bad. The movie was probably going to end before her dad picked her up. He gave her the giant penguin to hold.

She smiled and said "thank you!" It was used as a large pillow. She fell asleep during the lantern scene. Kai walked over to cover her with her blanket. He went back to preparing his arts and crafts for the next day.

The movie ended just as Kai saw Emma's dad walk through the door. He put his finger to his lips to indicate she was sleeping.

Mr. Choi saw his daughter and gently picked her up in his arms. She didn't wake. He whispered "how was she today?"

"She was lovely like always. Her test scores are among the top in the class too. You and your wife have a lot to be proud of."

"Oh. I'm divorced but thank you. I'll tell her mother that as well."

"Sorry. I shouldn't have assumed. Were painting tomorrow so put her in clothes you don't care about getting ruined. The paint is machine washable of course but still."

Beomgyu blushed as he nodded. He began to gather his daughter's stuff from her locker. Before he left, he whispered "thanks. She really loves you as a teacher."

"I love her as a student."

Kai began to clean up once they left. Most of the kids were good about throwing their trash away but there was always one or two who left it on the floor. He took another hour to prepare for his lessons tomorrow. The paint got organized. His morning lessons were pre-written on the whiteboard. Everything seemed to be set.