At the Opera

Summary: 1881. Needing to get away from his brother for some time, Elijah Mikaelson ends up in Paris. He's been there for a few days when he goes out to the opera one night-and gets the strangest feeling of someone watching him. 
__________________________________________________ 

 Leaving Klaus was wrong, he decided. His brother needed him. And who knew where Mikael could be lurking? He couldn't let his father find them. 

 Just one night at the opera, he told himself. Then I will get on the first boat home in the morning. 

There was something strange about the Opera Populaire, however. Elijah could hear whispers here and there of an Opera Ghost, who played tricks on the performers and demanded money from the managers. Elijah took his seat and tried to ignored it. It all sounded ridiculous. But then, perhaps he shouldn't be so quick to judge. There were people who did not believe in vampires, and yet here he was. 

 He relaxed during the performance, a new opera called Hannibal. Their leading lady was spectacular. He could hear people saying that she was much better than their usual leading lady. 

 When the performance was over, and Elijah got up to leave, he began to have a feeling of someone watching him. His first thought was Mikael. Everyone else was leaving, and Elijah could see no one out of the ordinary. Then suddenly he thought of the mysterious Opera Ghost. 

 "You're being ridiculous," he told himself. "There is no Opera Ghost." 

 As he went down the hall, he stopped by a soft, yet startling voice. 

 "No Opera Ghost, you say?" 

 Elijah stopped and looked around the hallway. He didn't see anyone but himself. 

 "Who's there?" Elijah asked slowly. It didn't sound like Mikael at all. 

 "Don't you know, Monsieur? I am the Phantom of the Opera. And I heard you. You really don't believe in me?" 

 "I didn't, no." Elijah realized his voice sounded a bit shaky. "I am sorry. I just thought...I don't want my father to find me. I am leaving Paris tomorrow morning, to get back to my brother and sister." 

 "And you thought I was your father," the voice replied. "But you believe in me now, don't you, Monsieur? What is your name?" 

 "Elijah." 

 "Go back to your family, Monsieur Elijah. I must go congratulate our new Prima Donna." 

 Congratulate her? Could that young lady be in danger? 

 No, he couldn't worry about that now. He had to get back to Rebekah and Klaus. With one more the look around, he quickly left the opera. 

~~~~~~

 When he returned to New Orleans, his brother greeted him with a smile. "Ah, Elijah. How was your time away?" 

 "I was only in Paris for a few days," Elijah replied shortly. "I won't be leaving again in the near future, Niklaus." 

  However much time went by, Elijah would never forget that night. Whenever he saw an opera house, or any kind the theater, the memory of that hypnotizing voice would always come back to him. 

 The Phantom of the Opera.