Lucien Castle #3

You look up from your book when you hear Lucien enter the apartment. You would have thought he would be smiling, or at least looking triumphant in some way or another. But tonight he looks quite the opposite.

 "I have no idea what's been going on," you say, "But I cleaned this place up earlier. I'm guessing there's been some more vampire brawls going on?"

 Lucien gazes around, taking in the tidiness. "You could say that. Thank you, Y/N. You didn't have to do that."

 "You know I don't mind keeping everything tidy. So, what happened? You look pretty down. I guess things haven't gone your way?"

 He sighs. "No. I haven't won any victories today." He sits down next to you. "Y/N, what do you think of me?"

 "What do you mean?" you ask.

 "I mean, you like me, don't you?"

 "Of course I like you, Lucien. What's going on with you tonight?"

 "I just...need to know that I am likeable in some capacity."

 "Is this about Aurora de Martel?" you ask.

 "Yes, Y/N, of course it is. She doesn't love me. She's never really cared about my feelings. I never should have given her the other dose of the potion."

 "Well, she's the woman you love," you say. "You thought the two of you could be together forever. It's not silly of you to think. And, besides, who else would there have been to give it to?"

 He shrugs. "I could have given it to you."

 You raise your eyebrows. "Me? Seriously?"

 "Seriously. You have a more pleasant nature than Aurora ever did, and I could be happy having you around for an eternity."

 "Is that supposed to be some kind of compliment?" you ask.

 "Of course it is. Paying compliments to lovely ladies/fine gentlemen like yourself and charming them is something I excel at."

 You smile. "Is that so? Given the number of enemies you have, I would say it's backfired a few times."

 "Well, you can't please everyone. But, on a more serious note, thank you, Y/N. I should have known I could count on you to stick around."

 "Oh, Lucien." You pull him into a hug. "Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere."