Rebekah Mikaelson #6

"And I believe we should have a special toast," Klaus says, "To our newest friend, Y/N. You have been a friend and an ally in a difficult time. We appreciate you."

  You smile a little shyly and raise your glass along with everyone else. You smile and thank everyone for the toast, and as you look around the table, your gaze lingers on Rebekah the longest. It's obvious she's trying not to stare at you, yet she continually glances your way. You give her the smallest of nods, and she seems to notice it, though you're not certain.

  You don't talk much for the rest of the dinner. You keep glancing up at the clock, waiting for this to be over and silently cursing time for being so slow. You catch Rebekah looking at you, and when your eyes meet, she returns your nod.

  Eventually, it's over, and you're able to leave without much holdup.

 "I do hope you'll be staying for some time," Klaus says. "We wouldn't want you to leave too soon."

  You nod. "Of course not. I think...I'll be staying in town for a while."

  You pretend to leave, exiting the house and walking down the street. At the corner, you turn and stop there. You lean against the building, waiting.

  After a while of waiting, you wonder if perhaps Rebekah wasn't able to get away after all. Maybe there was some crisis that was holding her up. Could her fears have been right, and Klaus found out about you? And then what? Surely he wouldn't hurt his little sister, not if he loved her as much as he seemed to.

  "You have no idea how annoying having brothers can be," Rebekah says softly as she turns on the sidewalk to where you're standing. "I wasn't sure you would still be here."

  "Did you really think I'd get tired of waiting for you?" you ask. "Come on, let's go before your brothers actually find out you snuck away to see me."

  You put a few blocks distance between you and the house before relaxing. You ask Rebekah, "So, do your brothers have any clue at all about this?"

 "I can't say for sure," she answers. "Nik is often too wrapped up in his own problems to bother noticing that other people have problems. Elijah is more attentive, though, and I have this feeling that he suspects something of me."

  "Well, it can't be too bad if Elijah knows, can it? He's not the one who would try to rip my head off."

  "That is a good point, but Elijah and Nik talk to each other about pretty everything. Elijah could accidentally let it slip."

  "So...what are we doing to do, then?" you ask. "Can we really secretly date for the rest of our lives?"

  "No. I don't expect you to this forever," she says. "It's just for now. My brothers actually like you, so we're using that to our advantage. We'll have to wait it out for now, and then I'll find the perfect time to casually tell them the truth."

  "Um...okay. You're talking about this like it's some kind of battle strategy."

  "Believe me, with my brothers, this is a battle strategy." She slips her hand into yours, and smiles at you. "I'm happy that you're so willing to put up with my family's insanity. Not many people would"

  You smile. "For you, Rebekah, it's a pleasure to be able to put up with your family's insanity."