Mikael #2

Being friends with the Mikaelsons could be a dangerous business. You've heard it before, but you let yourself become a friend of the family, anyway. They were usually busy having to deal with people trying to kill them, but some days they did have time to relax.

 One day, you happen to mention to Freya that you would like to find a roommate to share rent on an apartment with, as you've been having trouble doing it yourself.

 "That's quite the coincidence," she says. "I know someone who might benefit from having a roommate."

 "You do?" you ask. "Who?"

 "My father. He has an apartment on the other side of the town because he refuses to be anywhere near here, since Klaus owns the house. He needs a friend. Living alone with no friends will probably just make him crazier. Here's his address." She scribbles something down and hands it to you. "You should stop by there tomorrow. If you tell him I sent you, he'll probably let you in."

 "You're not coming with me?" you ask.

 "No, I have to errands to run tomorrow. But you should be fine. If Father knows you're friends, he won't try to kill you." She pauses. "Probably not."

~~~~~~ 

 A widowed man with five vampire children and one witch daughter wasn't what came to mind when you thought of a roommate, but maybe Freya's father won't be so bad. The stuff she said about him being crazy and possibly killing you has made you nervous, though. You have Freya on speed dial just in case.

 When you do arrive at the right apartment, you tentatively knock on the door.

 "Go away!" you hear from inside. "Whatever it is, I don't want it!"

 "Um, I'm not a salesman," you say. "I'm Y/F/N Y/L/N. I'm friends with your daughter, Freya."

 You hear footsteps inside the apartment. The door unlocks and is flung open.

 "You're friends with my daughter." The man standing in the doorway looks you up and down. "Freya has never mentioned a Y/F/N Y/L/N."

 "Well, I haven't known them for too long. Freya suggested I come here. She said you wouldn't kill me if I told you I'm friends with your kids."

 "Oh, honestly. What does she think I am, a barbarian? Come in."

 He steps aside and lets you into the apartment.

 "Have you been doing some renovating?" you ask, taking in the sight.

 "Oh, yes. Attempting to make the place look decent. This was the best I could find, and no one said I couldn't make it look nicer. Now, what do you want?"

 "Um, I was looking for a roommate," you say, "And Freya said you could also use a roommate." 

 He sighs. "Oh, Freya. I love her, but she worries too much. I'm perfectly fine living here. It's not that bad. Well, the neighbors aren't particularly friendly, and the renovating isn't going as well as I hoped, but I'm fine."

 "Actually, I wouldn't mind moving out of my current place," you say. "If we were going to be roommates, I could move in here."

 He looks around the apartment, and you wonder if he's considering it.

 "What's your opinion of Icelandic folk music?" he asks.

 "What?"

 "Icelandic folk music," he repeats. "What do you think of it?"

 "I don't think I've ever listened to Icelandic folk music," you say.

 He sighs again. "No one seems to these days. Now, what else about me? I have a tendency to go off into the bayou or the woods to practice my fighting skills, so you shouldn't be alarmed if I'm gone for a whole day. I do tend to have nightmares every now and then. I did wake up screaming once, but that hasn't happened since. And you have to help fix this horrible place so that it looks like decent living quarters." 

 You nod. "Okay. Sure, I'll help. Um, should I tell you about me?"

 "Yes, why not? Let's talk about it over tea, shall we? This way. The kitchen's in good enough shape at the moment. I haven't started any work in there yet. I'm Mikael, by the way."

 You smile and nod. "Nice to meet you, Mikael."

 You follow him to the kitchen, listening to him talk about plans to fix up the apartment, and wonder if Freya actually had a good idea in suggesting you come here.