Marcel Gerard #2

You sit down on the sofa in Marcel's apartment, waiting for him to come back. You've washed up, and hope to erase the evening's happenings from your mind as soon as possible. But you know that's a silly wish, because this isn't something Marcel will just let go.

 You try to look as calm as possible when Marcel returns.

 "Is everything taken care of?" you ask him.

 "Yeah. Everything's fine." He starts to walk off, but then sighs and walks back towards you. "What were you thinking, Y/N, getting involved in any of those fights?"

 "Some of those people are friends, Marcel," you say, "Friends of mine and of yours. Don't you think it's wrong that all this fighting's been going on?"

 "Of course I think so," he says. "But, Y/N, this is how things have always been. The vampires, the werewolves, the witches, they all fight with each other. That's just how life is around here. The times when there is some peace, it's very fragile and doesn't last long."

 "Well, maybe they're not trying hard enough."

 "But that's just it: not everyone wants to try. Some people around here just can't live in harmony."

 "Are you telling me that as King of the Quarter, there really isn't anything else you can do?" you ask.

 "I have tried," Marcel says. "Do you not get it, Y/N? I'm not upset because of the fights that have been going on. I'm used to that. What upset me was that you were involved. Now, you could have gotten seriously hurt, or you could have gotten killed. How would you have expected me to live with that?"

 You sigh. "Okay. I didn't think about that. But was it so wrong of me to want to try to fix things around things around here?"

 He sighs. "You clearly have not lived in New Orleans as long as I have. Look, can you please not do anything like that again, at least not without me there? I want to be able to protect you."

 "You don't have to protect me," you say. 

 "Apparently, I have to at least keep an eye on you. I love you, Y/N."

 You got up from the sofa and walk over to hug him. "I love you too, Marcel."

 "That's nice to hear. I'm not letting you get into anymore trouble anytime soon."