Alaric Saltzman #1

Being a vampire, it seemed ironic that you fell for the local vampire hunter.

 When Alaric Saltzman first blew into town, you weren't so keen on him, being friends with Damon Salvatore, whom Alaric had come to town to kill. But you got to know him a little, and you started to like him. Before you realized what was happening, you fell hard for him.

 There was one problem, however. He started dating Jenna Sommers, Elena Gilbert's aunt. You didn't have a problem with the woman, but you found it increasingly annoying that she was dating Alaric. Every time you saw them together, you felt an anger flare up inside of you.

 Of course, you felt bad after Jenna was murdered by Klaus Mikaelson. You had heard of the guy, and knew he was no good. Yes, you didn't like that she was dating Alaric, but you hadn't asked for her to get her heart ripped out by a centuries-old vampire. 

 Still, it did mean Alaric was single again. Which meant you had a chance.

~~~~~~

 You see Alaric sitting alone on the porch of the Gilbert house. He's been staying there keeping an eye on Elena and Jeremy since Jenna's death. You walk up and say, "Hey, Saltzman. How you been holding up?"

 He shrugs. "Not bad, I guess."

 "Can I join you?" you ask, gesturing to the other chair.

 He shrug again. "Sure."

 So you sit down and ask, "How's Elena been? You know, since Stefan's been gone? Damon filled me in on all that."

 "Yeah. Um, she's been managing, but she obviously misses him."

 You nod. "Understandable. What about you?"

 "I told you, I'm okay."

 "That's what you say," you say, "But I think you're just telling yourself that."

 "Of course I'm telling myself that, Y/N," he says. "Do you have any idea what that's like? To just lose someone you cared about like that?"

 You nod again. "I do, as a matter of fact. Alaric," you reach over and gently touch his arm, "It's going to take time, and it's going to be painful, but you will get past it. Give yourself the time you need to mourn, and then you will move on. I didn't know Jenna well, but I doubt she would want you to be like this forever."

 He sighs. "You're right. I think you're absolutely right. But how much time is it going to take?" 

 Now it's your turn to shrug. "However much time you think you'll need. I'm sure the right person will wait for you to be ready."

 You continue to sit on the porch in silence. You know what you said to him was true, so you suppose you'll just have to wait a little longer.