Brotherly Love (Defan + Klelijah)

Stefan quietly entered the Salvatore Boarding house. His brother was sitting by the fireplace, his usual glass of bourbon in hand.

 "How are you?" Stefan asked.

 Damon sighed. "Not good. Ever notice that it seems like I always manage to screw up somehow? Like it's meant to be." He took another sip of bourbon. "Maybe I'm cursed."

 "Don't say that, Damon," Stefan said. "You're not cursed. You've just made mistakes."

 Damon scoffed. "Mistakes. That's I always seem to do. Why do you bother, Stefan? Why do you bother at all trying to help me?"

 "Because you're my brother, Damon. I want to help you." He sat down in the other chair. "I believe in you."

 Damon sighed again. "Well, keep on believing, I guess. Let's hope some of it rubs off on me. Why don't you pour yourself a glass? I think I could use the company."

 "You must if you're willing to share your bourbon with me," Stefan said teasingly.

 And he thought he saw a hint of a smile on Damon's face.

~~~~~~

 Elijah softly knocked on the door to his brother's room. "Niklaus? Are you still awake?"

 At first, there was silence. Then the door slowly opened. 

 "What is it, Elijah?" Klaus asked. He voice didn't sound angry or irritated at all, just weary.

 "I wanted to check up on you, see how you are." 

 Klaus didn't look very surprised. "I'm fine. Why?"

 "Because I'm concerned. I know things have been difficult recently-"

 Klaus scoffed. "That's one way to put it."

 "But whatever happens," Elijah continued, "I think we can get through it. I know we can."

 "Well, I suppose it is good for me to have someone as optimistic as you on my side. Is there anything else?"

 Elijah shook his head. "No. Goodnight, brother."

 Klaus watched him walk down the hallway.

 "Goodnight, Elijah," he said softly, and closed his door.

 It made him smile a little to know that there was someone on his side who really believed in him, and it seemed he always would.