The Noblewoman and the First Mate (Marbekah, Pirate AU)

This is a sequel to 'The Captain and the Nobleman'.

 Rebekah knew what had happened to her brother, no matter how much her parents tried to hide it from her. She wasn't stupid; she heard the whispers. Elijah had run off with a pirate. Their parents were desperately trying to find him, but Rebekah knew that if Elijah had made up his mind about it, he would be staying with his pirate.

 Rebekah wondered about her lost brother all the time. Was he happy with his pirate? Did he enjoy the freedom of sailing endlessly across the seas?

 Freedom. That was what must have made him run away, she realized. He was free to do as he pleased, without the strict requirements of society getting in the way.

 It was one night, when Rebekah happened to be staring out her window, that she saw two figures creeping through the garden. Her first thought was burglars, but then she realized that one of them looked like it could be Elijah.

 "Rebekah?" she heard from below. "Is that you?"

 "Elijah!" She smiled as she realized that it was indeed her brother. "Wait there."

 She tiptoed out of her room and out of the house to where her brother stood, and held him tight.

 "I missed you," she whispered.

 "I missed you, too. That was why we came."

 "'We'?" Rebekah repeated.

 "But of course. I refused to let Elijah come here without my protection." 

 Rebekah couldn't see the other figure very well, but it looked to be a roguishly handsome man.

 "Is he the pirate you fell in love with?" Rebekah asked her brother. "I thought you had run off with a lady pirate."

 Elijah shook his head. "That is Captain Klaus Mikaelson. I stayed with him after his ship overtook mine, and I didn't want to leave him. I couldn't stay here, Rebekah."

 Rebekah looked at them both, and then, without thinking, she said, "Take me with you." 

 "You can't come with us! Being a pirate is dangerous, Rebekah!"

 "Now, Elijah," Klaus placed his hand on the other man's shoulder. "Let us consider the matter. It is an easy life for an upper-class lady such as her. Should she join us, she would gain the freedom you had longed for. If she is with us, you won't have to miss her." He turned to Rebekah. "If you truly wish to join us, Miss Rebekah, I shall allow you to join my crew. But you must do just as much work as everyone else. We must be fair, after all."

 "I do," Rebekah said. "I'll join you. Just take me away from this miserable place."

 "Are you sure, Rebekah?" Elijah asked.

 "Wonderful," Klaus said. "Just follow us, Rebekah. We'll look after you, I promise."

 So Rebekah followed Elijah and Klaus down to the docks, boarding a ship called the Red Dawn.

 "Listen up, all of you!" Klaus shouted at the crew. "This here is Miss Rebekah, Elijah's dear sister. She will be joining our crew. I expect you to welcome her as a crewmate, and if anyone is disrespectful towards her, you'll be thrown overboard. Am I clear?"

 Everyone nodded and murmured in agreement.

 "Good. Ah, Marcel, come meet our newest recruit. Rebekah, this is Marcel Gerard, my first mate. Marcel, perhaps you can find a suitable place for our newest recruit to sleep?"

 Rebekah turned to look at the handsome dark-skinned man approaching them.

 "Of course," he said. "A pleasure, Miss Rebekah. Kindly follow me, please." 

 Rebekah followed Marcel below deck. He seemed to have nice manners for a pirate, she thought.

 "There is a little cabin room back here that I believe should suit you," he said, "Though it may not be as comfortable as what you are used to."

 "I don't mind that. Thank you, Mr. Gerard."

 Marcel smiled. "You are welcome, Miss Rebekah. And please, call me Marcel."

 "Then you can just call me Rebekah."

 He nodded. "If you wish. Goodnight, Rebekah."

 "Goodnight, Marcel."

~~~~~~

 Over the course of the next month, Rebekah found that the life of a pirate was difficult, but not as bad as the gentry made it out to be, although she had been a little frightened the first time they had a attacked a passing vessel. She got along just fine with the other crew members; they all seemed to truly fear their captain.

 True, Klaus could be terrifying when he wanted to be, but Rebekah also saw how gentle he could be as well.

 One day, she spotted Elijah standing by the edge of the ship, staring out into the water. Klaus came up behind him and placed one arm around Elijah's waist, and placed the other hand on his shoulder. Elijah smiled and rested his head on Klaus' chest.

 Rebekah could see the real affection between them. When they met, they were from two different worlds, yet somehow they had fallen in love.

 "They always look happy when they are together."

 Rebekah jumped, startled, and realized Marcel was now standing beside her.

 "When Elijah first joined us," he said, "I was surprised my captain had fallen in love with such a man. I thought he would only become heartbroken. But Elijah stayed. They are very in love, I assure you."

 "They must be if Elijah decided he was never coming back," said Rebekah. "How long have you sailed with Captain Mikaelson?"

 "Nearly six years. He saved me once from a terrible ordeal, and I pledged my allegiance to him." He paused. "Do you like it here, Rebekah?"

 "Oh, yes," she answered, smiling at him. "I didn't think I would, but I do."

 He smiled back. "I am happy to hear it."

~~~~~~

 A few weeks later, Rebekah couldn't sleep one night. She went onto the deck to get some fresh air, and was surprised to see Marcel.

 "It seems I have been placed on the night watch," he said. "Would you care to join me?"

 "I'd like to." Rebekah gripped the edge of the boat and looked out across the water. "Have you ever thought about being something else, besides a pirate?"

 "Not for a long time. I had other dreams once, but not for years. Do you ever think about your old life?"

 "I have a few times," Rebekah admitted. "I do wonder if my family misses me at all, if they're looking for me."

 "I would think so." Marcel smiled. "Society suffered a great loss when you joined us, Rebekah."

 Rebekah smiled back at him. They stayed like that for a few seconds. And then Marcel leaned over and kissed her softly on the lips. Rebekah had never kissed anyone before, and was surprised by how much she liked the feeling of Marcel kissing her.

 Marcel pulled away and said, "I am sorry. I-"

 "Don't apologize," Rebekah said quickly. "I liked it."

 Marcel sighed with relief and smiled. "I liked it, too."

 They stood awkwardly for a moment. Then Rebekah said, "I suppose I should go to bed. I will see you tomorrow morning."

 "Until then, Rebekah."

 Rebekah hurried down below and got into bed. It took her a long time to fall asleep, and when she did, she feel asleep thinking of Marcel Gerard.