Katherine Pierce #5

"Let me take you out tonight," you say to Katherine.

 There was silence on the other end, as if saying those six words froze her up.

 "Excuse me?" she finally says.

 "Let me take you out tonight," you repeat slowly. "Come on, Katherine, when was the last time you really got to go out with someone and have some fun?"

 "I don't see how it's any of your business how often I go out and have fun."

 You sigh. "Fine. I guess I'll just go have fun by myself, which won't be that much fun. Or I'll find someone else to go out with, which still won't be much fun because you won't be there."

 "Well...I am fun to hang out with," you hear on the other end. "I guess I could go out with you later and find something actually interesting to do. Where do you want to meet?"

 "I'll come pick you up later," you say. "We can have dinner together, and maybe go do something after. What do you say?"

 "I like it," she says. "But come pick me up as soon as possible, please, before I die of boredom from sitting here and doing nothing."

~~~~~~

 "So, where are you taking me?" Katherine asks. "Please tell me it's at least slightly sophisticated."

 "Katherine, you need to relax," you say. "We're just going to this local restaurant I know. Are you sure you're okay?"

 "Yeah, I'm fine. Well, you know how I am, always checking for danger."

 "And here I thought Katherine Pierce laughed in the face of danger," you say jokingly.

 She scoffed. "Depends on what the danger is." 

 During dinner, she seems to have trouble concentrating on you and the meal. It doesn't escape your notice how she constantly glances around, and constantly looks at the door, as if expecting something bad to come in any second.

 "Katherine, we don't have to do this tonight," you say gently. "I can take you home if-"

 "No, I'm fine," she cuts in. "Let's just...go do something else, yeah? Something that'll keep me occupied."

 As you walk down the street, Katherine asks you, "I'm being a bit of a letdown, aren't I?"

 "You, a letdown? Why would you think that?"

 "Because I pretty much just ruined our dinner together. You were nice in wanting to take me out, and I was acting so paranoid about it. I'm just not used to being so out in the open like this. I don't get much time to enjoy myself."

 "Is this because you were always on the run from the Mikaelsons?" you ask.

 "Of course it is. You never know when Klaus is gonna pop up in front of you. He can be scary like that. But, really, Y/N, I'm sorry I-"

 "You don't have to apologize," you say. "Hey, how about we go to the ice rink?"

 "The ice rink?" Katherine repeats. "And do what, exactly?" 

 You shrug. "Go ice skating, I guess. What, you've never ice skated before?"

 "Oh, I have. Just not in a while."

 "Then I'll have to change that," you say. "What do you say?"

~~~~~~

 "That was so much more fun than I thought it would be," Katherine says, and you're happy to see she's smiling. "You are a terrible ice skater, by the way."

 "Well, I don't go skating much anymore," you say. "You, on the other hand, were great. Are you sure it's been that long since the last time you were on the ice?"

 She smiles wider. "Seriously, though, I've had fun. Thank you for taking me out tonight, Y/N. Really. I think I needed a night to relax and enjoy myself."

 You smile back. "The pleasure was all mine."

 She then takes you by surprise by giving you a small kiss on the lips. It only lasts about two seconds, and you don't shake off your surprise long enough for a chance to kiss her back, but it makes you feel good.

 "Now, escort me home, will you?" she asks, holding out her arm. "I can take care of myself perfectly well, but it doesn't hurt to have a bodyguard."