No More Babies! (AU)

"Freya, Finn." Esther came into the kitchen where the two oldest children were doing homework. "I have to go see Dr. Gilbert. Your father's coming with me, so I need you to watch the others for a while. I just put Henrik down for a nap, so he shouldn't give you much trouble."

 "Why do you have to go to the doctor?" Freya asked. "Are you sick?" 

 "Well, it's...all right, I'll tell you two, but don't tell any of the others." Esther looked around her, and then lowered her voice. "I think I might be pregnant again."

 "Again?!" Finn cried. "Isn't seven enough?" 

 "I don't for sure if I'm pregnant, Finn. That's what the doctors will tell me. Mikael, are you ready yet? And Freya, can you make sure everyone gets their homework done?" 

 Mikael came into the kitchen, looking rather sick himself. Freya figured he must have felt the same way as Finn. 

 "Are you okay, Dad?" Freya asked.

 "Probably not. We're possibly going to have another toddler to chase around. I thought Henrik was going to be the last one."

 "Let's hope," Finn muttered.

 Once Esther and Mikael had left, Finn said to Freya, "Kids our age are always getting lectured about safe sex and birth control and stuff like that. I think Mom and Dad are the ones who need to be lectured."

 "Oh, it's not that bad, Finn."

 "Yes, it is. It should have just been you and me, and maybe Elijah."

 "Well, it does seem a little soon," said Freya. "Henrik's first birthday was just last week. But I should go if the boys have done their homework yet."

 "I doubt it."

 Freya went into the living room where Klaus, Kol, and Rebekah were all sitting in front of the television.

 "Niklaus, Kol, have you done your homework so you can hand it in at school tomorrow?" Freya asked.

 "First grade is stupid like kindergarten," said Kol.

 "Second grade is just as bad," Klaus added. "It's Klaus, not Niklaus."

 "Well, you have to get it done. Where's Elijah?"

 "Upstairs, reading," Klaus answered. "He looks books more than playing with the rest of us."

 "I don't think that's true, Niklaus," said Freya. "And there's nothing wrong with reading books. Kol, you like reading, don't you?"

 "No. Reading is stupid."

 "Is there any snow?" Rebekah asked.

 "No, Bekah, not today. I'm going to go check on Henrik. Get your homework done."

 "Why are you checking on Henrik?" Klaus asked. "Where's Mom?"

 "She had to go out."

 "But where is Mommy?" Rebekah asked, looking around.

 "We'll ask Elijah," said Kol. "He's smart."

 They all went up to Finn and Elijah's room without bothering to knock.

 "'Lijah, where's Mommy?" Rebekah asked.

 Elijah looked up from his book. "Isn't she here?"

 "Freya said she had to go out," Klaus said. "And I don't see Dad anywhere, either."

 "Well, maybe they had to go grocery shopping, or they had somewhere important to go. Ask Freya or Finn; they probably know."

 So next they went to the kitchen where Finn was finishing his homework.

 "Finn, where's Mommy?" Rebekah asked him.

 "She went to see Dr. Gilbert."

 "Why?" Kol asked. "Is she sick?"

 "She can't be sick," said Klaus. "Then we'll only have Dad to take care of us."

 "She went to see Dr. Gilbert because she thinks she's having another baby," said Finn. "Now go away."

 "Another baby?" Rebekah asked.

 "Why?" Kol asked. "Babies are stupid."

 "We hate listening to Henrik cry at night," Klaus said.

 "If Freya was standing here she'd tell you that's not nice. Mom and Dad both looked really nervous. They might not be able to financially support eight kids."

 "What does that mean?" Kol asked.

 "It means you need to stop eating so much," Finn answered, "and stop growing so Mom doesn't have to buy you new clothes."

 "How do you stop growing?" Rebekah asked.

 "That's silly," said Klaus. "You can't just stop growing."

 Freya came in carrying Henrik. "What's going on?"

 "We don't want another baby!" Kol cried.

 Freya looked at Finn. "You told them? We don't know if Mom is actually pregnant!"

 "They asked, so I told them."

 "What's pregnant?" Rebekah asked.

 "It's when a woman is having a baby," Freya replied.

 "How do you get pregnant?"

 Freya and Finn looked at each other. "You can learn about that another time," Freya said to Rebekah. "Why don't you guys go play something?"

 "I'll tell 'Lijah!" Rebekah cried. She ran out into the hallway yelling, "'Lijah, Mommy's having a baby!"

 "Niklaus, Kol, please go get your homework so you can finish it," Freya said. "Hopefully, Mom and Dad will be back soon."

 "Will they have the baby?" Kol asked.

 "No, they won't. Please just do your homework. Finn, can you watch them?"

 Freya sat on the living room floor with Henrik. He didn't talk much yet, but when he said 'Feia', she guessed he was trying to say 'Freya'.

 Elijah came into the living room. "Hi, Henrik." He sat down on the floor with them. "Um, Freya, why did Bekah run into my room and tell me Mom's pregnant again?"

 "Mom thinks she might be, so she and Dad went to go see Dr. Gilbert. Mom told me and Finn before she left, and I don't think we were supposed to tell anyone, but Finn told the others when they asked him where Mom is."

 "Seven kids is too much for a lot of people," said Elijah, "but eight is definitely too much. But I do like Henrik." 

~~~~~~

 A few hours later, Esther and Mikael returned. Rebekah ran over and asked, "Where's the baby?" 

 Esther looked surprised. "Who told you about that?"

 "Finn, Nikky and Kol said babies are stupid, but I like babies."

 "Well, Bekah," Esther lifted her up in her arms, "There isn't a baby this time; I just thought there was. But I am sick, so why don't you go to Daddy?" She handed Rebekah to Mikael. "I'm going to go lie down."

 The rest of the children gathered around.

 "There isn't a baby," Mikael told them, "but your mother does have the flu, so don't bother her, all right? I'll get dinner going."

 Once he was out of earshot, Klaus said, "It's what I thought! Mom is sick, and now Dad's taking care of us."

 "What do you mean?" Elijah asked.

 "I mean we're doomed."